New to Photography. Need Advice!!

ess236

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I'm new to this website as well as I am to photography.. For a while now, I have wanted to always get a camera and take some pictures but I never got around to. Now that I am in college, there's a lot of great scenery around the area, and also I know a lot of people that want pictures taken of them. I would like to know what is a great beginner camera to use. I was told to use snapsort.com but I wanted to get real feedback from people. So I would really appreciate it if I was to get some feedback.

Avoid grey imports by buying from a reputable dealer. Cameras are pretty good nowadays so entry level DSLRs or mirrorless bodies from the major manufacturers are a pretty good bet. A fast lens can be expensive but they also hold their value well and extra sharpness can cost $$$. Depending on whither you have spesific requirements for your gear I'd pick an entry level camera and grab a good second hand "kit" lens (like an 18-55mm f4.5-5.6) as they plummet in value after they are brand new. I'd also pick up a good quality circular polarising filter (forget UV or "protective" filters, they aren't worth the money).

Really the biggest thing about beginner photography is learning how to use your camera and realising its limitations (all cameras and lenses have them).

Avoid grey imports by buying from a reputable dealer. Cameras are pretty good nowadays so entry level DSLRs or mirrorless bodies from the major manufacturers are a pretty good bet. A fast lens can be expensive but they also hold their value well and extra sharpness can cost $$$. Depending on whither you have spesific requirements for your gear I'd pick an entry level camera and grab a good second hand "kit" lens (like an 18-55mm f4.5-5.6) as they plummet in value after they are brand new. I'd also pick up a good quality circular polarising filter (forget UV or "protective" filters, they aren't worth the money).

Really the biggest thing about beginner photography is learning how to use your camera and realising its limitations (all cameras and lenses have them).
Thank you for the great information!! The camera I was considering to buy was a nikon d3200 to start off with, and when I become more experienced in what to do, then I will think about buying any other camera.

ess236 said:
The camera I was considering to buy was a nikon d3200 to start off with, and when I become more experienced in what to do, then I will think about buying any other camera.

That is a sensible beginner's camera from a company whose entire line of d-slrs offers state of the art image quality, meaning great sensor performance, great color depth, great exposure latitude, and fabulous post-exposure software adjustment of exposures. It's a small body camera, light in weight, easy to carry, and as d-slr cameras go, it is very low in cost. it is aimed at the beginning d-slr shooter. The D3200 is available from a lot of retailers across the globe. The D3200 has an image sensor that gives better quality than professional cameras costing $8,000 to $5,000 seven years to a decade ago!

ess236 said:
The camera I was considering to buy was a nikon d3200 to start off with, and when I become more experienced in what to do, then I will think about buying any other camera.

That is a sensible beginner's camera from a company whose entire line of d-slrs offers state of the art image quality, meaning great sensor performance, great color depth, great exposure latitude, and fabulous post-exposure software adjustment of exposures. It's a small body camera, light in weight, easy to carry, and as d-slr cameras go, it is very low in cost. it is aimed at the beginning d-slr shooter. The D3200 is available from a lot of retailers across the globe. The D3200 has an image sensor that gives better quality than professional cameras costing $8,000 to $5,000 seven years to a decade ago!
Thank you!! I think I have the camera I'm going to buy now.. Do I need to buy any extra equipment with the camera?

To start out, just the camera, a lens (assuming you're going with interchangeable lenses) and the memory card. Consider a good, sturdy tripod and, eventually, a flash that you can use off camera as future purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back