New to Photography, need some lens advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Zugbert, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Zugbert

Zugbert TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everybody, I'm brand new to photography (and this forum) and I'm here asking for some advice. My dad recently bought a Canon Rebel XSI and he already wants to buy a higher zoom lens. Currently the only lens we have is the 18-55mm kit lens.

We are looking at two in particular, a canon 55-250mm lens and a canon 75-300mm lens. We are looking to get a relatively cheap lens, that takes decent-good quality photographs? What are the general opinions for these lenses or any other lens? Thanks.

55-250 link: Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

75-300 link: Amazon.com: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Electronics

2. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I've read online, instead of looking at the 75-300, you may want to consider the 100-300. I'm considering getting a little bit longer zoom myself, and the 100-300 may be the winner for me.

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 55-250 has IS which will make your life easier as a beginner. It gets soft at the long end though, and is definitely a weak performer in a few areas, but that's to be expected. In your situation, I got the 55-250.