New to photography - should I look at a polarizer filter?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by caspertodd, Apr 2, 2008.

1. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just recently purchased a Canon Xt, which is my first SLR. First off I am amazed at the difference between a $100-$200 point 'n shoot and a DSLR! I am still learning all of the functions of the camera, and am trying to learn proper ways to compose a picture instead of just taking snapshots of something. I know the affect of polarizers, and am looking at possibly buying one such as a Hoya Pro1 or a B+W multi coated circular polarizer. Is it too early for me to consider adding filters (other than a UV)? Should I just focus on just learning the camera first before getting into filters?

2. Dradd

Dradd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hell, If you have enough spare cash, it can't hurt.

Not that I'd know of course :D

3. Sim

Sim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed. If you know what they're for and can spare the cash, go for it. It just means you'll have experience with filters that much sooner.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I find polarizers indispensable.

5. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought one two months ago and haven't used it yet. I've been busy learning other things. Buy it if you know what you want to do with it and you're ready to try it. Otherwise, save your money until you're ready for it.

6. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Almost ditto.

7. ChrisP

ChrisP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What are you looking to shoot? They're indispensible for landscape photography. I saw you mentioned B+W filters. I recently picked up a multi-coated polarizer for my 18-200VR and it's top quality. You won't go wrong there.

But getting back to your question - if you're going to do a lot of landscapes with either a lot of sky or water shots, polarizer works very well. Another filter that is useful w/ digital photography is a graduated neutral density filter, particularly if you've a bright sky and you want to reduce likelihood of blown-out highlights.

8. kidchill

kidchill TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly, there's really nothing to learn about polarizers. You put it on and shoot. You may need to spin the lens until you get the proper orientation to take away the scatter, but other than that it's so easy a cave man could do it :) And yes, it is a good idea to use one!

9. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will be going to Rome, Italy soon, so I will be taking a lot of pictures outside of the Colloseum, Churches, many different fountains, Lots of flower covered streets. I'm sure the filter will help with the fountains, and maybe even the flowers... not sure on the rest.

10. iriairi

iriairi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't imagine not using a polarizer. I take a decent amount of waterfalls, but have used it regularly at gardens on fountains, etc...

11. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The only thing I don't like about my polarizer is trying to take it off. It's probably the most frustrating thing for me.

12. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am not sure of wisdom in buying an expensive polarizer for lens that come with camera - unless you got the 5D + 24-105 kit :). Primary reason being size of lens - if you want "top notch" photos, chances are you will upgrade out of kit lens. Better lens will most likely be bigger so your expensive polarizer will not fit.

Play with your current set up, and if you think you are going to keep/use lens, go for a polarizer.