New to photography. Would like some C&C

M.White

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm new on the forum and to photography. Actually, I started about a month ago with my friend's Rebel XT and I just bought a Canon 30D with a 18-55 IS 10 days ago. Since I'm just starting to understand the basis, I'd like some C&C from more experienced photographers. Here's 2 versions of a shot I took 2 days ago on a bike ride.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
Well, my first reaction was," That's a pretty nice photo..." I think I prefer the black & white rendition to the color, contrary to my usual preferences. The one problem that jumped out at me is the halo on the tree line... a common difficulty with HDR merges. It's not a photograph-killing flaw, by any means, but it does give the border between the sky and foreground a kind of otherworldly, unnatural "glowing" look.

I like the color photo, although I grew up on B&W. This is a sharp picture! Good detail and everything focused just right. For a total beginner, you seem to have a good eye for framing a photo. Aiming to have the abandoned (?) building to the far left, with the trees occupying the rest of the length of the frame, gives the photo a nice sense of balance. Keep on shooting. Practice makes right! :)

i personally love the color photo. The black and white version of it makes it look a little "creepy" and sort of older than it looks like with the color photo. If you are going for the "creepy" look you could always at some "grain" towards it, make it look a little 'older' and more 'antique' like.

Your on the right track, not bad at all. I also favor the black and white version and would probably change the angle a bit. Maybe shoot from higher up. Not much but a bit remove some of the forground. Did you use a circular polarizer filer? It appears not I would strongly adivse getting one is is probably tied for third most important photography gear. Camera of course being number one followed by a lens. Tripod is tied with the polarizer. It will darken your sky and make the clouds pop more. Also can remove reflections and I use it to get longer shutter times. Very very useful for many things. Anyways, thanks for sharing, and keep at it. I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Well, thank you for your C&C. I'll take good note of your advises.

No, I don't use any filter.

I like the b&w better, although the color is nice as well.... As stated above, the halo really jumps out at me, but its tolerable... Overall, the composition is nice. What type of editing are you doing here?

I meant what software.

I think I prefer the B&W...

What about a different point of view? Maybe a 3:1 aspect ratio... Just a thought.

95454254.jpg

I like the b&w better, although the color is nice as well.... As stated above, the halo really jumps out at me, but its tolerable... Overall, the composition is nice. What type of editing are you doing here?

I meant what software.

I'm using Aperture 3. I played on the levels and added a bit of sharpness.

@BuS_RiDeR I tried this aspect ratio at first, I like it too, but I like it more with a bit more sky.

Agree with white - I like bus_rider's edit.
Not liking the halo effect over the trees and barn though.

I'll try to remove the halo with photoshop tomorrow :p

Most reactions

Back