New to photography

JoshHILLARY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi im new to photography and here are some of my attempts.

the barbershop -

BW.jpg

Destroyed -
DSC02847.jpg

Burn it down -
DSC02823.jpg

Peace -
DSC02813.jpg

that bad? what am i doing wrong? lolol

Nononono they're not bad. =] I'd say the first and the fourth are the best ones out of these four because the lighting in both of them is better. The lighting in the second one ("Destroyed") is pretty normal; it doesn't really make the viewer look twice, you know? For the first one, you may want to consider using the rule of thirds and placing the door more to the left or more to the right instead of the middle. For the third one, you could consider messing around slightly with your aperture so that the background was completely blurred, or taking it in different lighting conditions. =]

thank you, I will go out and take more pictures today and ill try and use a ton of your tips lol. Thanks for helping me i honestly appreciate it because no one else will help me out lol.

hey welcome, love the first one, how do you go about doing half colour and half black and white, i think i may do it the most difficult, time consuming way known to man, just interested what your technique is? :)

lol I just used photoshop to make the background completely greyscaled. but the building already was a sort of grayish color so it didnt make a huge difference.

i only have paint shop pro and i had to cut the bit out i wanted to colour then put the whole pic in grey scale, then increase the colours to like 16 million or what ever the highest setting is, and paste the colour section as a new layer onto the grey scale copy, it just seems such hard work :(

with mine i just used the polygon lasso tool and selected the sign all around it then inverted the selection. Then i greyscaled.

Took like 5 to 10 minutes for me. But i dont use paint shop pro. Theres probably tools similar to the ones im talking about in psp. ill investigate it.

ok, The polygon lasso tools equivalent is the freehand tool, except you change the settings in options to point to point and then you can select whatever you want to color then click inverse and it will select everything but what you want to have color. Then you greyscale the selection.

freehand.gif

BWNug2.jpg

awesome...thank very much mate i will have a look at some of my pics and hopefully post one so u can see me handy work...cheers dude :)

No problem, looking forward to seeing your pics :D

the first one is exceptional, and with this little help alot better

bwab0.jpg

contrast+ a little more sat to make the lettering "pop"

thanks, I tried adding contrast in photoshop but my sister told me she thought it was better with more subtle color on the sign.

But i agree with you lol :p

For the third one, you could consider messing around slightly with your aperture so that the background was completely blurred, or taking it in different lighting conditions. =]

lol I would try this but my digital camera is a piece of crap and it only has 2 different aperture settings lol.

its a sony cyber shot lmao

Most reactions

Back