New to photography....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dbowman, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Dbowman

Dbowman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all, I'm quite new to the world of photography and would need a lil bit of help. I'm sure you guys have already answered most of these questions in other threads, so I'm sorry for asking them again. I've tried looking around the forum but quite honestly it's a little overwhelming and hard to find anything.:meh:
    So yeah once again, sorry for asking old questions.

Okay I've been wanting to get into photography for quite a while now but because of lack of money, I haven't been able to get a decent cam. I even took a basic digital photography course a couple of years ago but once again, because of the lack of a proper camera I wasn't able to practice the things I learned so I've forgotten most of it. :er:
    Anyway I've been saving up some money, and I could afford one of the cheaper SLR models if I wanted to. However I'm unsure if I should just throw out the money and start with an SLR camera? What if I buy all the expensiveish equipment just to find out that I don't have any talent in photography?
    Anyway I've been looking at the Canon Powershot SX110IS:
    Amazon.com: Canon Powershot SX110IS 9MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo
    It looks like a little bit of a hybrid between a compact camera and an SLR. You can't change lenses, but it's cheaper than an SLR, has quite a bit of manual settings and yeah...would this be a good starter cam? It seems to be getting quite good reviews.
    Still... whenever I see beginners asking about equipment, people tell them to get SLR's. So what do you guys say? Should I forget about the Powershot and get an SLR?
    If that's the case...what SLR should I get? I don't want to spend more than 6-700$ for the body + an okay starters lens. Are the lenses that come with most SLR's good enough? Or are they just garbage?

I'm mostly interested in nature/scenery photography by the way.

Question n2: Could you guys recomend books for beginners? To learn all the basics about camera techniques, lenses...yeah everything. If you could just recomend one book for a newbie, which book would that be?

I'm...sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section of the forum too by the way, I just get overwhelmed whenever I join a forum because of all the posts and all. So I'm a little lost:p
    Be my guest to move the thread if it's in the wrong section.

Thankful for any help:thumbup:

2. SuperMom30

SuperMom30 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm new as well so don't know how much help I would be but I say get the DSLR trust me your going to have your camera for a few months and want one anyway so y=in the long run you will be saving money by just buying the DSLR off the bat...but that's just me.

As for what kind...I think it dep on what your wanting to shoot but I know the Rebel xsi body is in your price range and so are a few others... hope some of this helps;)

3. Cool G5

Cool G5 TPF Noob!

I would advise you to go ahead & purchase the Canon SX 110 IS. Use it & experiment various photography tricks. While start saving so that you can get a god DSLR once your level of excellence increases.

4. Dbowman

Dbowman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Now lets see if I can get these quotes to work:er:
    Yeaah that's kinda what I'm thinking too...but at the same time, I don't want to buy something expensive just to find out that I'm no good at photography.
    The Rebel xsi (or EOS 450D as they call it here:mrgreen:) does look interesting. Well atleast the price tag does:p
    Do you know if the lens it comes with would be okay or would it just be junk? It just says that it comes with "a 18-55mm IS lens".
    Anyway thanks for the reply, much appreciated:D

It does sound like the safe road yeah...
    Anyway, what would be the pros/cons of getting the SX110? I mean...let's say I get a DSLR, I don't really think I would go out and buy 5 different lenses any time soon. I would probably get one, and stick with it until I get better. Isn't the SX110 basically a DSLR without the ability to change lenses? It seems to have more manual settings than the average point-shoot cam. Sure the picture quality won't probably measure up to the 200000$ SLR's out there, but would it be that much worse than a 600ish $ SLR one?

...am I making any sense here?:lmao:
    anyway thanks for the replies both of you. More would be appreciated. So far I have one person telling me to get a SLR and one telling me to wait. So I can't say I've made up my mind yet:p

5. Dylan-Fishman

Dylan-Fishman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't need 5 different lenses. Start with one and when you have enough money and experience get another. I personally would get a D40 and leave it at that.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The lens that comes with the XSi is not junk. It's a decent kit lens.

Since cost is such an issue why not just get a XS with that same lens and use the $150 you save for a decent gear bag, some memory cards and maybe a good CL Polarizing filter. For nature/scenery the polarizer and a good steady tripod are very helpful to making sharply focused images.

7. Dbowman

Dbowman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D40 eh? They don't make those anymore though do they? I'd rather not get a second hand one.
    I was considering a D60 actually, if I do go for a SLR that is.

Oh that's good to know. So the lenses that come with most SLR's are generally goodish quality then? If I got, lets say a Nikon D60, I wouldn't have to buy a lens for it too?

I'll keep that in mind:thumbup:

8. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought an SX110 IS for my wife for Christmas. Collectively, we hate it more than foot fungus. I'd compare it to some other P&S cameras before you buy it. I've been wholesale unimpressed with the thing as has she (and she doesn't have any 'I own a DSLR, what is this POJ' bias like I might have). It's Noisy, the IS is questionable at best, the manual flip up flash is... and odd choice... the manual controls are clunky at best. The best thing going for it is you can overlay the rule of thirds. Whee.

That being said, there are a lot of people who have it and enjoy it. So take my assessment with a grain of salt.

9. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Before you become to hasty in buyi8ng anything

answer these:

What type of photograph do you wish to do

how far will you be from your subject usually

will you plan on advancing to a DSLR

I personally would recommend the Canon 450D + 18-55mm kit lens (around $600 i think?)
    thats what i used to start with, its ap retty decent lens, and you could always sell it for £100 (assuming you dont use it so it is still in new condition) and use the money to buy a 50mm prime (but that means you need to use your feet to zoom) or do what i did and buy a 75-300mm USM III (i got mines for 45 from Ebay but the Auto focus doesn't work)

if your planning on taking snapshots with no real valuable meaning to them other than memorablia then just get the bridge camera (the one you stated in you post)

but i 100% reccommend the DSLR as if you wish to advance, your not spending the same again....

10. Dbowman

Dbowman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh really? :eek:
    I have actually read some of those complaints in a few reviews, all in all it still seems to be getting good reviews though.
    After reading all you guys are saying I think I'm going to go for a SLR anyway, so I think I'm going to forget about the SX110.

1: As I mentioned in my original post, I'd be interested in getting into nature/scenery photography. Which...would include both animals and scenery. Which answers question number two too I guess, both close and far depending on the subject.:confused:
    3: I hope so, but I'm a natural quitter. If I start something and feel that I'm not "good enough", I have a tendency of just quitting. I don't want that to happen, but knowing me...it very well could. That's the main reason that I'm not completely sure about getting a DSLR at once, it wouldn't be too great spending the money on it just to let it lay in the closet. But if I feel that I make some progress and am able to take okay looking pictures, I would probably end up buying a DSLR eventually anyway.

I'll have a look at the 450D and check some prices and stuff then.

Yeeah...that's not really what I have in mind:p

Seems to be the best way to go yeah.
    Well I guess it's decided, a DSLR it is! I'll do my homework first though and make sure that I buy the right one. But I'm definitely going to forget about the SX110.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. And...sorry for all the quoting. It's just a bad habit of mine from another forum:lmao:

11. Figment

Figment TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They still make the Nikon D40 (Just bought mine from Calumet Photographic about a month or so ago)
    I've been 1000000% satisfied with it since I bought it. I'm learning a lot.
    One thing I wanted to mention to you, don't be afraid to buy a P&S as a backup camera, but DO YOUR RESEARCH. Couple guys at work carry P&S's around in their pockets for those "Damn, I wish I had my camera" moments, but they don't want to tote their heavy gear bag around everywhere they go. (Who WOULDN'T want to tote their camera everywhere... My wife thinks I'm having an affair with my camera, because I spend more time with it than her)
    I would HIGHLY recommend the D40 as a starter. I found a couple of decent package deals. Through Calumet, I got the D40 Body, 18-55 Lens, SB-400 Speed Flash, 4 Gig Memory Card, Rechargable Batteries for the flash, and a gadget bag for $605 Out the door. My budget was $800. Here's where I made my mistake. I didn't get a larger lens. They were out of stock on the 55-200 Nikon Lens I was seeing everywhere else, and the Sigma that was in stock wasn't VR (Vibration Resist, or Anti Vibration...a MUST on a longer lens)
    Pop the extra cash if you can and GET A LONGER LENS.. I'm kicking myself now because the wife won't let me spend any more money yet... :(
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I've heard good things about Canon too, and used to be a Canon user with Video. But my Nikon's my new baby.
    Now if you'll excuse me... I must try and sneak a picture of my boss having a meltdown. :)

12. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If i were you I would buy a second hand DSLR from Craigslist or Ebay. I've seen used Canon 20d's and 30d's for under $350 with a kit lens.

With all that knowledge you have(since you've already been to school), getting something less then a DSLR would be very frustrating since you won't be able to maximize what you know. Just my two cents.

camz
    http://simplydashy.blogspot.com