New to Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LoveLea, Apr 5, 2010.

1. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

I have always loved taking photos and recently had some motivating words from some dear friends of mine, which Have encouraged me to take a few steps in the photography direction.
    I was sat in my bedroom earlier and noticed the dusk sky and wanted to capture it.... Here are the pictures

What do you think xxx

P.s I dont have a great camera, Its actually a Fujifilm Finepix s1000fd. But I want to know If I actually have a gift before I take the step financially and purchase a better camera .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

sorry I kept editing , Had to resize them a few times :)

3. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First of all, please don't take any offense to anything I am going to say. I'm just going off these photos, and it won't reflect on you.

First thing's first, you actually have a good eye for composition. You seem to know where you ought to place things in the frame to make an interesting photograph. Composition is one of the tougher things to learn how to do well, so you're already at least half way there.

These photos have some pretty serious flaws in them, however. I believe that they can be summed up as having to do with your camera. I don't know much about the camera you're using, but I imagine it might be limiting you a bit. You decided to shoot these is some pretty tough conditions. It's dark outside. P&S cameras tend to have horrible low light capabilities. The cameras will bump up the ISO pretty high, and this will add a ton of noise to the shot. And there is a lot of noise. There also seems to be some white balance issues. The color is shifted to the yellows and reds.

In the first one, focus seems to be off. A lot of cameras have trouble focusing in lower light, and that might be the issue there.

If you really enjoy photography, and you have the means to do so, I would say go get yourself a better camera. You have a pretty good eye, and with practice it will probably get better. When I picked up my first SLR, my first shots were way worse than this, so you're already a step up on a lot of people, including myself. I don't think natural talent should be an indicator of whether you should do something or not. It should be if you want to do it, and it's something you can see yourself spending time doing. If this sounds like you, then go ahead and drop the cash and get yourself a DSLR.

4. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

hey
    thanks so much for your comments :)

The camera Im using is a very basic one

It only cost £140 and its pretty basic and I was just using the AUTO feature on it . So I totally understand what your saying regarding the color issues , noise issues so on ... I can see them myself and I know they are horrible.

:)

5. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

6. aliciaqw

aliciaqw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have no talent and still managed to buy a DSLR. Haha. Go for it-- if even just for the fun of learning :)

7. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There's a saying in photography. The best camera is the one you have with you. Just keep shooting. If that camera has some modes outside of auto (aperture priority, manual, etc.), I'd recommend using those to see what you can come up with. Experiment, read up on exposure, and just have fun!

8. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I was trying to figure out how to say what I wanted to say, and Alicia beat me to it. If you can afford a camera, buy one. At the worst you will have a nicer camera that may last you for years to come.

There are other threads on this site and google that go more into depth about photography as a career. Search on this site and google.
    I also like your eye for composition.
    Good luck, and let us know if you purchase a new camera. As a matter of fact, there are many here with a lot of experience that may help you researching for a new camera as well.

9. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

thanks so much for the encouragement guys :)
    I wont be doing it professional.
    I just do it as a hobby ans see where the future takes me :)
    I'm my churches photographer and I purely want to better myself for them :)
    The cheapest DSLR I found was around £300, may take a while as I have a child and Im pregnant now so have to prioritize ....
    Bad confession now , I have no Idea what to do with my camera when its not on AUTO lol !!
    Is there anywhere I can learn what it al means xx

10. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

I totally want a new camera now ! lol

11. gardy90

gardy90 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i realy think your on to somthing here, thats how i got started i had a PS camera and just wanted more control, but none the less i think you could beniffit a great deal from a better camera, i think #2 could be the best, if everything was in focus better and if there was some way to bring out more color in the lone flower there, and the lighting and shadow from the tree is great.... that being said, go out buy a better camera, and sit at this spot and wait for the sky to do the same thing :p haha might want to bring beer and food also...

12. LoveLea

LoveLea TPF Noob!

Im pregnant lol , I cant drink beer , How much does that suck :p
    Luckily though , This spot is only about 15 steps from my house :)