New to photography

jemmerson92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I have just bought a micro 4/3 mirrorless Panasonic GH4, primarily I planned on using it for making videos, but I hear it is capable of producing great photographs (although perhaps not its primary use!), therefore I thought I'd give it a shot! (No terrible pun intended!)

I have the following lenses, 25mm lumix and 14mm - 140mm kit lens with IOS.

I just wanted to know the best place to get started with learning to use the camera and some photography basics, maybe a good book or YouTube channel someone's used? I have access to the full Adobe cloud suite too for post production.

Also - i just cleaned my lens with a glasses wipe...is that okay?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0ae98db7cb33e510fa48852da6718e9e.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations. Understand, though, that this is still camera that can also do video and not a video camera that can also do still photographs. Enjoy.

Congratulations. Understand, though, that this is still camera that can also do video and not a video camera that can also do still photographs. Enjoy.

I read so many reviews about this camera before purchasing, and it was so varied between what the camera main purpose was. Also a few reviewers say that the camera cannot produce professional quality photos due the the small sensor and others saying it can. Being a complete novice, I haven't got a clue! But it seemed the best hybrid micro 4/3 on the market. Thanks :)

It doesn't have the same sort of shutter that video cameras use. Basically it turns the sensor on and off with the mirror locked up. It is definitely a still camera with video capability. The image below was made with a Panasonic point and shoot camera that has a smaller sensor than your camera has.
aroseisarose.jpg

It doesn't have the same sort of shutter that video cameras use. Basically it turns the sensor on and off with the mirror locked up. It is definitely a still camera with video capability. The image below was made with a Panasonic point and shoot camera that has a smaller sensor than your camera has.
aroseisarose.jpg

Thanks for the photo example, good to see that a clear image comes from a smaller sensor!

Who ever told you that you can't get professional results from the Panasonic 4/3 sensor or any other micro 4/3 is either a complete snob or don't have a clue maybe both. The panasonic is an excellent camera both for stills and video and you have a good selection of lenses to choose from. I would be careful what you use on the lenses for cleaning,don't use any strong solvents or ammonia based cleaners and Use a rocket blower to get the dust off before you wipe the lens element. I use Optical cleaner for eye glasses thats safe for plastic/glass with a silk cloth.No scratches or lint junk left behind.

To be a professional these days you only need to take pictures and be one hell of a sales person but if you want high quality gorgeous photos you need to be a good operator.

Last edited:
Who ever told you that you can't get professional results from the Panasonic 4/3 sensor or any other micro 4/3 is either a complete snob or don't have a clue maybe both. The panasonic is an excellent camera both for stills and video and you have a good selection of lenses to choose from. I would be careful what you use on the lenses for cleaning,don't use any strong solvents or ammonia based cleaners. Use a rocket blower to get the dust off before you wipe the lens element. I use Optical cleaner for eye glasses thats safe for plastic/glass with a silk cloth.No scratches or lint junk left behind.

Thanks for the response, good to have positive feedback about the stills element of the camera. I won't use the glasses wipe again...hopefully it hasn't done any damage after one use, can't see anything on the lens. The only reason I did it is because I got on the floor to take a few shots of my dogs and he came and shoved his nose on the lens which left a smudge.

I've ordered a propper lens cleaning kit from Amazon that has a blower etc included. Cheers!

My advice would be to read a book or two on beginning photography and start by shooting in Manual only. (You control aperture, shutter speed and ISO manually.) Once you understand how aperture, shutter speed and ISO work and interrelate and what each does individually and collectively to your image, read a book on exposure.

After you've learned the basics:

1) Shoot;
2) Shoot some more, and at the end of the day when you think you're finished;
3) Shoot again.

Don't clean the lenses too much. They have special coating that suppresses things like flare and ghosting, so constantly cleaning it could eventually wipe it off. Clean it if you accidentally touch it and leave a fingerprint, or if it got a lot of dust on it. Most of the time, dust particles and other things don't even show up in the image.

Learning to take photos by going in full manual mode is one popular approach. The other is to start in AUTO and look at the settings the camera chooses to get a feel for what's the way to go. When you read the literature or watch videos you'll learn why AUTO didn't or did capture the photo the way you wanted.
I keep my camera set to full AUTO while it's in the bag. If time and circumstances allow I'll reset to manual or priority but if no time I know AUTO will get a decent shot.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Got a beginners photography book published by DK, author is Tom ang.

See how I get on with that. Took some shots of my sisters kittens, haven't imported them onto the big screen yet , but some look really good (full auto mode), some are far too dark and then when using the flash far too bright on the fur.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back