New to photography

0druidic0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a point and shoot video camera (without recording time limit) that has silent or near silent zoom and autofocus. Also my budget it under $1000 US, preferably quite a bit under. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd go for something with a really good optical stabilizer. I have tried sonys balanced optical steady shot, and found it outstanding. If you are planning to use your camera handheld, this is the way to go. Mine was a cx730.
Focus was silent, zoom was close to silent. I'd say not audible from 6ft.

ahh thank you very much. I want to record videos with hot mic preamps and hear nothing in my audio signal. In general do camcorders have quieter zooming and autofocus than DSLR or point and shoot style compact cameras?

In general I'd say yes. But e.g. my sony a7 series mirrorless cams do focus pretty silent too with e.g my 55mm f1.8. Focus noise also depends on the lens. My Canon DSLRs in comparison are much louder.
Consider not using the zoom function. Hardly any real movie uses zoom. It's more an amateur and newsstyle ;). Choose your zoom before pressing the rec button and you're fine with many cams.

Gotcha.thank you very much.

In general I'd say yes. But e.g. my sony a7 series mirrorless cams do focus pretty silent too with e.g my 55mm f1.8. Focus noise also depends on the lens. My Canon DSLRs in comparison are much louder.
Consider not using the zoom function. Hardly any real movie uses zoom. It's more an amateur and newsstyle ;). Choose your zoom before pressing the rec button and you're fine with many cams.

Newer Canon APS-C bodies that have the dual-pixel AF (continuous auto-focus during video based on phase-detect focus) can do this... at which point it depends on which lens you use. Any Canon EF-S lens with the "STM" suffix (Stepper Motors) are virtually silent as they focus and you'd struggle to hear the sound of the focus using an in-body microphone (but if you want good audio quality... don't use an in-body mic no matter how quiet the lens motors are.)

I've had very good luck with personal Sony video cameras. Never had one break and they always have good features that are usable. I have one that's at least 8 years old and still works fine.
I did work a 3 day eventing job and used their Canon HD cameras and was very impressed. It was small and took very good video and the batteries lasted very well. The zoom was quiet and smooth.

I am looking at the Panasonic fz200 as a possibility. Does anyone have experience with it?

Most reactions

Back