New to photography

SanctuS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to the more serious aspects of photography, such as, taking pictures other than snap shots and trying to compose the picture in a way that is pleasing to the eye.
I own a Canon Rebel T2 and 2 lenses for it a 28-90mm that came with it and a 75-300mm lens. I have taken a few rolls through the camera, but I was wondering a about a few different things...

1) What is a good type of film to use. Up to this point I have just used either Kodak or Fujicolor 200 speed film that you could buy at any walmart. I would like to know of any better, but still reasonably priced films...
2) I am interested in trying some macro photography, but I looked at the lenses are priced way beyond my teenage budget. Are there any good, but still cheap lenses?
3) Is developing film at a Wal-Mart a bad idea...or would the prints they sell me reasonably comparable to prints developed elsewhere?

There are just a few of many questions...please answer in any way you wish. Or just give pointers not even related to the post. I need all the help I can get...

I am interested in nature photography, but I have found that taking pictures of flowers is much easier as they dont run away...any tips in either or both of these fields would be appreciated

Just buy a roll of Fuji Velvia 100. You can't develop it at wal-mart, so you'll have to take it to a real lab or have a lab in a camera shop send it out.

Take pictures of really bright, colorful things and don't get prints made, just look at the processed roll of film. You'll go ballistic.

Film types and brands are really a matter of preference. Kodak and Fuji both make great films. You won't go wrong with either. Pick a new film and try it. It's the only way for you to see for yourself if you like it. Since you like nature photography, you might like to try shooting some slide film. Use a tripod whenever you can, and bracket your exposures. Whatever type of film you buy, try buying the slowest film you can find, which will probably be ISO 100. You'll get nice sharp pictures with very fine grain.

As for developing, if Walmart is doing a good job for you, then you have no reason to change that, but if you are shooting slides, chances are that they cannot develop them. Try and find a local camera shop. They might do E6 developing, or if not, they will be able to point you to a local place. The quality will most likely be more consistent at a pro lab, but also more expensive.

As for your other questions, you'll find lots of great info by using google. Search for "extension tubes" as a cheap alternative to a macro lens.

For help photographing flowers, google "flower photography tips". If you have some specific questions, feel free to ask here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back