New to photoshop... raw?

Wiggz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, one quick question... if I open a raw file in CS5 and work with it and everything... is that the correct way to use RAW (NEF) files in PS? Or is there something I need to do before I open it in PS?

Sorry I'm a recent convert from GIMP and I had to open it in another program before I used GIMP on it lol

... is there something I need to do before I open it in PS?

Technically, the answer is "yes", but PS does it for you automatically.

PS itself can't read RAW files. Also, RAW files can not be edited by any program. Before you can edit a RAW file it must be "processed" (some use the term "developed") in a RAW converter to generate an editable bitmap image from the camera's RAW data.

PS uses a plugin as its default RAW converter. This plugin is called Adobe Camera RAW (aka ACR). Attempting to open a RAW file in PS will cause PS to launch the ACR plugin. The file will open in ACR and you make the necessary conversion adjustments there. When finished you "Open" the image from ACR it generates an editable bitmap and passes that into the main PS application.

... is there something I need to do before I open it in PS?

Technically, the answer is "yes", but PS does it for you automatically.

PS itself can't read RAW files. Also, RAW files can not be edited by any program. Before you can edit a RAW file it must be "processed" (some use the term "developed") in a RAW converter to generate an editable bitmap image from the camera's RAW data.

PS uses a plugin as its default RAW converter. This plugin is called Adobe Camera RAW (aka ACR). Attempting to open a RAW file in PS will cause PS to launch the ACR plugin. The file will open in ACR and you make the necessary conversion adjustments there. When finished you "Open" the image from ACR it generates an editable bitmap and passes that into the main PS application.

And I highly recommend ACR 5.0 (With CS5) It is fantastic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back