new to strobin'....

brettmc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been looking into stobing first after seeing some of the results people have churned out and by reading thestrobist blog, a great resource.
Anyway, so I went out and purchased a promaster 7500EDF flash, very comparable to the nikon sb800 (per the store guy). I also picked up an RPS studio wireless flash trigger kit 4 channel very similar to the one in this link: RPS Studio Wireless Flash Trigger Kit 4 Channel-85ft - Canoga Camera
After getting my goodies home I realized that the promaster does not have a PC outlet on it. So I returned to the store and purchased a PC to hotshoe adapter similar to the one in this link: NP11131 Adorama Camera PC to Hot Shoe Adapter with Connecting Cord.

So after getting these goodies home it does not work, the remote trigger light goes off when tested but no flash. What gives? Has this happened to anyone else, what can I do to try and fix it? I'm going to take it all back to the store tomorrow to try and get it all sorted out, but does anyone have any tips/tricks in the mean time to try and get it up and running?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Just take it ALL back to the store you got it from, and look at getting an SU-800 and an SB-600 used. Why try and go cheap? Especially if you don't have the knowledge base to diagnose when a problem like this occurs?

And test this stuff out at the store to see its limitations. My local guys let me try out the ST-E2 to see what kind of range I could get when the flash was behind the camera (and when it didn't work at about five metres back, he just suggested using gaffer's tape to stick a piece of white board from the box to he front of the commander, and bounce the IR light back...love those guys). I definitely agree with ANDS! here. You might as well slap down the money and get gear that you know will work.

With the SB800 and the 600 used, that you mentioned, does the 800 have "commander" function? Because the salesman told me that with a D40 that function would not work because the camera body does not have this capability? But he also informed me that the 7500 that I bought has the commander function, for when I upgrade my body. I'm thinking that he misinformed me about it, since I don't find anything about it in the manual.

So would you recommend two flashes for an initial set up? Also, if I did go with the 800 and 600 wouldn't I still be in the same situation in needing a remote trigger or not?

Your salesmen is full of ****. The D40 does not have the ability to control strobes this is true. However slapping an SU-800 (not the SB-800) on the D40 will allow you to control any of Nikons remote flash units (the SB-600, SB-800 and SB-900).

Now, should you get the SB-800 - well thats up to you. It effectively means you wont be able to move the SB-800 off camera, however you can always slap a ring-flash or some other diffuser on the SB-800 (mini softbox) to allow the SB-800 to function as both a commander AND a softer fill light. The SU-800 though, would allow you to use it as a commander no matter what camera you have.

Just take it ALL back to the store you got it from, and look at getting an SU-800 and an SB-600 used. Why try and go cheap? Especially if you don't have the knowledge base to diagnose when a problem like this occurs?
:thumbup:

Oh I apologize, I thought that was a typo (SU instead of SB) my bad. That is interesting though, I had not looked at this kind of a set up.

So I ended up returning all of the equipment since it appeared to be some incompatability between the flash and the hot shoe to pc adapter. I don't know, so this all puts me back at square one.

The SU800 looked like it wouldn't work out too great for me since I would still have to have LOS.

So I have been looking at the SB600 and 900. I have problems with each though the 600 does not have any external ports so it would be a problem for me to use as an off camera flash, and the 900 seems too pricey, I mean $500, really? Are there any other flashes that I'm not considering, am I missing something?

Most reactions

Back