New to the addiction of dSLRs... Question on lenses.

RoRoCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I recently move on from my Sony DSC-R1 - which I still love because of that glass - to a Canon 2ti. I just needed something better in low light and more versatile with a snappier focus. I am looking to get a few lenses, but I want to be smart and spend slowly. Plus, I want the "honeymoon" feeling in getting a new package in the mail with a new toy to play with. :)

So far I have:
Canon t2i
18-55 IS kit lens - there were no body only options in stock.
50 mm f/1.4 - For the low light my R1 couldn't do.

I want to get:
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
70-200mm f/4 IS

My question... Out of these two lenses, where do you think I can get the most use? I am waiting for them to be on sales, refurbished, or used. But, I know my will power won't last.

I mostly shoot my kid (soon to be kids), family occasions, and outdoor scenes. So, all over the place.

Your thoughts?

I have both a 70-200mm and a 10-22mm.
I'd say that I use the 70-200mm more, but I do love my 10-22mm.

I bought the 10-22mm for landscapes, and that's where I use it most, but it's really fun to use at parties, wedding receptions etc.
I use the 70-200mm for all sorts of stuff when I'm shooting outdoors. Indoors, it's a bit too long for most things.

I have both a 70-200mm and a 10-22mm.
I'd say that I use the 70-200mm more, but I do love my 10-22mm.

I bought the 10-22mm for landscapes, and that's where I use it most, but it's really fun to use at parties, wedding receptions etc.
I use the 70-200mm for all sorts of stuff when I'm shooting outdoors. Indoors, it's a bit too long for most things.
The size of the 70-200 is something that makes me wonder how often I would pull it out (I know... "That's what she said"). Makes me wish the 70-300 DO was a bit more reasonable from a pricing perspective or higher quality.

Do you think the 3 lenses I mentioned (not including the kit), would cover me?

My 70-200mm is the F2.8 L IS, it's a fair bit bigger than the F4 version you're talking about (that's what she said :D :roll: ). It can be a bit of a pain to haul around, but after lugging it around for a 12 hour wedding, an hour or two with the family is no sweat.

Do you think the 3 lenses I mentioned (not including the kit), would cover me?
Maybe, but I still think you might be missing a 'normal range' zoom (basically what the kit covers). The 10-22mm is pretty wide, too wide a lot of the time. The 70-200mm is great but too long (& too big) some times. The 50mm is great, but with kids running around, it's often helpful to have a zoom.

You could certainly get by with those (and include your kit lens when you need it) but eventually you might want a replacement for the kit range. The best option may be the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, but it's expensive. You might also consider the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as good quality fast lenses in that range.
If you don't need a fast lens, then you could look at something like the EF-S 15-85mm IS.

Thanks, Mike. I have access to a 15-85 IS and obviously my kit lens. So, I have been less excited to replace my kit than I have to get something in a new range. I think I might go wide an wait on the longer lens. Maybe the newish 70-200 f/2.8 IS will drop some of the 4.0s into the used market.

Man... Canon and Nikon should give away entry level dSLR camera bodies... They would make it up in lens sales. It works for crack dealers... why not camera manufacturers?

You might consider the Sigma 10-20mm. It's less expensive than the Canon 10-22mm and it rates just about as well on most reviews.

I have both as well, and while I use the 70-200 range more often, a 10-22 is going to give you shots you just can't get with any other lens on a crop body. It's a specialty lens that definately has its uses, but its by far the least used lens in my bag.

I would pick up the 70-200 and stick with the 18-55 until you can get a nice replacement in that range; I think you'll find it a lot more useful overall. 18mm is generally wide enough for most occasions.

For family/social photography, the 10-22 is going to be too short in focal length on almost any occasion...meanwhile, the 70-200 will be almost useless indoors, except for narrow-angle types of shots, or when the distances are 20 feet or so away, or farther. If I had to choose between the two, I would rather have the 70-200 focal length zoom as a "people lens", specially for outdoor shots, portraiture, and tighter-framed more close-up type shots.

I really think maybe you ought to think about a higher-quality lens in the 18-70-ish type range...something that starts around 17 or 18mm on the wide end, and goes to the 70 to 85mm range, as being the best all-around lens for "people/social photography" type uses. Canon has several good zooms that are designed to cover this range, at different price points and different build qualities also.

Well... I tried to follow everyones advice here, but BHPhoto just listed an EF-S 10-22 (9 condition) for $575. I guess I am a wide photographer for now (in terms of pictures and body type).

Thanks guys.

Most reactions

Back