New to the DSLR world

thisisolivia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. My name is Olivia. I've been into taking pictures since I was little, which turned into a love of photography. It was always something I loved to do but never thought about pursuing a career or just going to school for it. I had been more interested in going to school for fashion design (sewing is another passion of mine). Sometime after graduating high school, meeting the love of my life, having a daughter, and getting caught up in life in general I decided I needed to do something for myself. So I recently started working towards my BA in photography at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Now I'm in the market for my first DSLR. Since most of my camera knowledge has been from point and shoots or twiddling with my mom's old film SLR I'm in dire need of some input in regards to my camera options.

I know this is just for introductions, but if you'd like to leave input about my choices here that'd be fantastic. I'll get this to the right area once I give the forums a better look through.

I've narrowed it down to:
Nikon D-60 or an Olympus E-520

I'm a Nikon person myself, but i'm currently leaning toward the Olympus due to the Image Stabilization being in body rather than having to cough up extra $ each time I get a new lens. Budget is a huge factor as I'm a poor college kid now (as is my fiance). Any 2 cents about which camera I may be better off with?

As far as lenses go: i'd get the 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR with any Nikon. For the Olympus it'd be the 14-45mm & 40-150mm - I'd eventually need to get another lens to cover the 150-200 gap as my classes require up to 200mm zoom.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated and I can't wait to learn from everyone else here!

Go with the Nikon and just buy the VR lenses for now. In-body isn't an advantage in my opinion. It will stabilize the final image but it doesn't stabilize the viewfinder. On top of that the two Nikon lenses you listed are about the best lenses ever made for the money. I still have both of those lenses and they are excellent. Top quality optics.

I prefer Nikon also. Had an Olympus back in the film days (OM-1 and OM-2). And, as was said, stabilization is better when in the lens. In body uses electronic stabilization, while the Nikon lenses use gyros and servos to mechanically stabilize. I have been very happy with the 18-200VR and 70-300VR lenses.

Most reactions

Back