New to the forum and a question

Lisaspank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wanted to say hello to everyone here!

Im relearning how to use my new dslr camera. (olympus e-510) I had taken a few photography classes in high school that really peaked my interest, but didnt stick with it.

Ive allways been into art and photography, but stuck with boring point and shoot for the last 6 years, and just played around with the photos in PS.

Anyways, my question is about lenses for my camera. It came as a kit with two lenses, but I am interested in exploring a macro lens and wide angle possibly.

Can anyone offer some guidance?

Thank you!

hmm well I think the first thing is to set a budget for these new lenses. I think I am fairly safe in saying that there is not a single lens that will do both wide angle and macro (though with something like photoshop elementes panorama stitching you could use a zoom lens with macro to stitch together a panorama if you could not stretch your budget to both)

Oh! I mustve not made my question clear enough.

I am willing to purchase seperate lenses...I am looking for one for macro shots and one for wide angle. Currently the wide angle lens is top on my list.

Im just confused about compatibility between brands as well as quality and reputable place to purchase from.

Ahh it appears I was also a little unlcear - the main thing people need to know is how much you have to spend on these new lenses that way people can stear you towards the best lenses that you can afford :)

I guess Im unsure about the quality that is necessary for lenses for basically a beginner.

I wouldnt want to sink a bunch of money in, but Im also looking to keep the camera for a long time, so an investment isnt out of the question.

Is it possible to get either of the lenses for $150 each?

I dont know if thats even possible, it seems too inexpensive. Sorry for my lack of experience.

I think you are thinking about it a little wrong. Whilst I will agree that a cheaper lens will make/force you to improve your skill and technique to get better shots I don't think its really a reason to aim at the lowest end of the market to start with. I would say aim as high as you can - especially with lenses. See if you get a really good lens now, not only can you "grow into" that lens over time (and if you are keen on your photography then you will improve you skills) but it will also be something that you can keep - almost through life!
So go as high as you can is my advice (without breaking the bank of course)
Sorry I can't help about hte prices though - UK person here so I can't comment on the market

Most reactions

New Topics

Back