New to the Forum, and taking photos. help me out

#1 Rule....don't ask for criticism if you don't like what the response might be. There are a few Pros on here, and many advanced amateurs who could probably be pros, so if you ask for an opinion on your photographs, be prepared to possibly get ripped apart. Most people will do it in a constructive manner, but will likely be quite blunt. You can't take it personal.

just tell me what i am doing right/wrong. looking to take better pics of everything.

Suggestions can be given, but don't expect the easy answer to the secret of photography. I have been doing this for 22 years, and I am still looking to take better pictures of everything. It is a learning process that is a lifetime journey if you are serious about it.

As for your pictures, they have no "feel" to them. They are pictures of a truck. The last one of the truck in the creek shows some action, but needs better composition and/or editing.

You'll find that I post very little useful in response to a Chevy ad. While the photos are technically OK, the whole post comes across as "look at my truck, ain't it great?"

I'm sure that's not what you meant... but seriously... all those photos of a truck in the woods? It leaves one wondering if GM really needed a bailout if they hadn't paid for that photo spread.

did you not read my other replies? on other forums they always ask for more photo's. this is the first site i have EVER been on to ask for less. my mistake for posting so many, lesson learned. and as i have just recently got my camera and started taking an interest in photography, my truck is all i had on had to take pictures of.

yes, a truck in the woods. you can see a truck on the street any day of the week. not often you see a truck in the woods.

#1 Rule....don't ask for criticism if you don't like what the response might be. There are a few Pros on here, and many advanced amateurs who could probably be pros, so if you ask for an opinion on your photographs, be prepared to possibly get ripped apart. Most people will do it in a constructive manner, but will likely be quite blunt. You can't take it personal.

Suggestions can be given, but don't expect the easy answer to the secret of photography. I have been doing this for 22 years, and I am still looking to take better pictures of everything. It is a learning process that is a lifetime journey if you are serious about it.

As for your pictures, they have no "feel" to them. They are pictures of a truck. The last one of the truck in the creek shows some action, but needs better composition and/or editing.

noted. nothing taken personal, i am pretty easy going and actually hard to offend. but can be just as blunt as anyone else out there.

very simple photo's, but they all look great.

one thing to keep in mind though, all my photo's are jsut that, photo's. no tinkering with in editing programs. i would love to be able to get photo's like that naturally.

Much better as far as the amount of pics.

#1 is under exposed or appears to be anyway.

#2 I dont care much for really

#3 is still one of my favorites that you posted. Composition wise I would have tried to place it higher on the road with more road in front of the truck rather than in back of the truck.

#4 its a truck on a road above a town or something. Not much interest in this shot at all.

#5 has potential but the truck is out of focus. A tighter crop or shot would make it more interesting I think.

3187131688_2bfdda66dd.jpg

Wasnt much to work with as far as quality goes due to the focus being off. But something like this.

In general I dont know what you have done as far as research on photography but look into the rule of thirds to start. That will help you with some of the composition issues you are having. What camera are you shooting with I know you said that it didnt have many features.

Last edited:
i have done very little research other than looking at pictures others have taken, and i thought were good. gotten a little help on other forums, but this is the first photo oriented forum i have visited.

i have heard of and tried using the rule of thirds somewhat, but have not really read up on it specifically.

i have done very little research other than looking at pictures others have taken, and i thought were good. gotten a little help on other forums, but this is the first photo oriented forum i have visited.

i have heard of and tried using the rule of thirds somewhat, but have not really read up on it specifically.

I put in a edit of one of your pics up above while you were replying.

Wow! See now that does do something to it! It still needs something but not sure what. There's just something about the color or maybe. Oh I know!! The creak looks dirty. It's the location thing again. Need a prettier looking creak. That can be hard to come by.

Wow! See now that does do something to it! It still needs something but not sure what. There's just something about the color or maybe. Oh I know!! The creak looks dirty. It's the location thing again. Need a prettier looking creak. That can be hard to come by.

I think time of year is a big factor in this as well. If there were a bunch of green around the truck and it was a clear day I think it would be a big difference in the quality of the pictures. As with the rest of us mother nature doesnt always cooperate with us.

that looks great. i have a few cropped in farther already.
but they are small, used for signatures
PICT9816-1.jpg

Underpowereda.png

as far as the dirty creek, i have some old pictures, 6 months or so, in a very nice clean creek i need to go back to. sometime i plan on going to the shallows of the KY river to take pictures, as it is very clean and i think would make for great photo's.

that looks great. i have a few cropped in farther already.
but they are small, used for signatures

as far as the dirty creek, i have some old pictures, 6 months or so, in a very nice clean creek i need to go back to. sometime i plan on going to the shallows of the KY river to take pictures, as it is very clean and i think would make for great photo's.

The second of those shots is pretty nice. When shooting in a creek just remember that when you drive into the water your going to kick up a bunch of silt and stuff. For those shots drive in and wait for the water to clear up some. Keep out of the water as much as possible until you get to the spot you want to photograph at.

the lambo pic is cool, but just looks out of place in the tree IMO.

so i don't have more pics, here are links to some of the cleaner creek pictures. the only issue i have with them, is my ugly mug in them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/PICT8015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/PICT8014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/PICT8008.jpg

and what do you all think of this one? just a unique angle, but nothing of real intersted in it, yet i just like it for some reason
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/mytruck-1.jpg

The second of those shots is pretty nice. When shooting in a creek just remember that when you drive into the water your going to kick up a bunch of silt and stuff. For those shots drive in and wait for the water to clear up some. Keep out of the water as much as possible until you get to the spot you want to photograph at.

i tried my best to, mainly to keep the truck clean more than the water though. but the water is dirty because these were taken right after a hard rain, which stirred up the silt more than i did, which is why there is so much other debris in the photos

Most reactions

Back