New to the forum C&C please

Crissybobissy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello ladies and germs, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to photography. I've been reading this site for a few days, love it here and decided to join. Right now I keep my camera on auto and am starting with the very basics, mainly compisition and trying to keep everything in focus and exposed properly.

If anyone can take the time to give me some hints are criticisms I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

1: Trying to get a good shot of the rain on the petals

P10207011.jpg

2: Trying to capture how small he is compared to the lake

jonedge.jpg

3: Chickens LOL They thought the water was going to be cold and had to test it first.

skytay.jpg

the first one is the only decent one, the others are just snapshots

Thanks :) Do you have any tips on what I could do to make them better, please? I tried to figure out the rule of thirds, but the whole setting the subject in one third at intersecting lines sort of threw me.

The other 2 are using the rule of thirds, and I think they are a little better than "Just" snapshots.

Samanax, you must have the BBcode for those links on your desktop in a note or something, right? (Not saying it's bad; it's awesome.)

1: Trying to get a good shot of the rain on the petals.
This shot doesn't work for me. I can see the rain drops and the petals, but I don't know what kind of flower it is...it just looks like a big red mass with rain drops on it. Sometimes you gotta move around the subject while looking through the viewfinder until you see a good angle to shoot from.
2: Trying to capture how small he is compared to the lake.
It's not a bad image, but when taking pictures of children it's good to get down to their level and see the world from their perspective. I think I would have tried a shot from the right looking out towards the lake.
3: Chickens LOL They thought the water was going to be cold and had to test it first.
It's a nice image but the horizon is leaning toward the right. Important to try and get the horizon level. And maybe shooting from the eye level of the two girls would be nice.

When you're taking pictures of children you should try to get their faces in the shot if possible. Right now we're just seeing the back of their heads...not very interesting to look at.

Thanks :) Do you have any tips on what I could do to make them better, please? I tried to figure out the rule of thirds, but the whole setting the subject in one third at intersecting lines sort of threw me.

You pretty much nailed the RoT's for not understanding it.

jonedge1.jpg

This has a nice leading line (the waterline) from one intersection to the other.

skytay1.jpg

How did you crop the last one? Is there more on the right, or left side?

Thank you both Bitter and Samanax. I hadn't seen those first two links before, so I've bookmarked them to read tonight. I also hadn't noticed the things you pointed out until you mentioned them, and now I can see them clearly and agree, especially about the horizon tilting.

Bitter, there was a tich more space on the right side of the image that I cut off. I thought that it would look better to have more space on the side they were facing. Did I go overboard with it a little? :blushing:

Thank you again, I really do appreciate it.

Bitter, there was a tich more space on the right side of the image that I cut off. I thought that it would look better to have more space on the side they were facing. Did I go overboard with it a little? :blushing:
Maybe just a little. A tiny bit more space on the right side wouldn't hurt.

I agree with SalmonAx, just a little more space would have landed both figures at the intersection.

I would have shot the first shot in Macro. You will love how detailed the water drops and flowers are in this mode..but it's not half bad for an auto shot ;)

What kind of Camera are you shooting with? I also think you did really good useing the RoT on your photo's for being a noob...I still am trying to get it down...keep up the good work:sexywink:

Most reactions

Back