New to the forum: Pursuing Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by HMSmai, Oct 13, 2008.

1. HMSmai

HMSmai TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all,

Here are two pictures from where I am currently located in Bandon, OR. I did a lot of pencil/acrylic art growing up and just don't have the time for it anymore. I'm looking to gain some knowledge about photography and continue my expression of art through it. I'm currently using a very basic Canon A590 point and shoot (always shoot in M mode though) - looking to upgrade by Christmas to a DSLR. Here are a couple of pictures from the past month or so. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

They're both good concepts, but I reckon could also both do with a looser crop.

The top one seems unfortunately to have some lens flare in the bottom right, and I would clone out the black smudges (birds?) in the sky. Also the horizon needs levelling.

The second maybe could have been made more interesting if you'd got down low, and captured the texture of the sand/water in greater detail.

3. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

Oh and also: welcome to the forum!

4. HMSmai

HMSmai TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice. The black specs are the divot from the shot - what do you mean by a 'looser crop?'? Thanks.

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They mean a wider field of view so you see the whole golfer and not the head and feet cut. It’s all personal preference though. I don’t mind it. One of my favorite photographers uses tight cropping for some excellent photos.

I think it’s a good photo. What I really think you’re suffering from is quality issues regarding the camera. Even sized down, the top photo is fuzzy. A quality lens on a SLR camera would have everything sharp and in focus, unless you wanted otherwise.

And you can find some good used deals for $250-$400 if you’re not worried about the latest and greatest.

6. HMSmai

HMSmai TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you, that's what I thought he meant. I'm certainly looking for DSLR currently, I've already gotten the photography bug. I think I tend to go with the tighter crop because of my previous art work - the composition style is just something I'm used to and like the look of. Thanks for the info again.

7. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

Hmm, coming back to this, I do actually not mind the tight crop, it does draw you into the scene.

8. HMSmai

HMSmai TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha..well I'm glad it does work for you now.

9. frasierfanatic

frasierfanatic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Let me just say, these are incredible for a point and shoot. Your DSLR would greatly enhance the photos, but it looks like you have a wonderful eye for catching scenes. Best wishes!

10. HMSmai

HMSmai TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks frasier - I appreciate it. I'm certainly looking frantically for a DSLR right now. It's too bad I'm leaving Bandon for home in a couple of weeks and I'm not going to get a chance to catch some really good shots.

Village just wondered where/what to search in order to find some of the older model DSLR's. I've read a fair amount in a variety of places and I'm certainly interested in buying a capable body, but definitely a nice fairly versatile lense until I find a more specific area I enjoy.

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. HMSmai

HMSmai TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Much appreciated, I'll look around those sites.