New to the forum thoughts and advice

j2talc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
Let me start by introducing myself. I am a 22 year old student at Virgina Tech. I have got into photography as my main hobby. I currently have a Canon Rebel XT, canon 50mm 2.8 lens, the kit lens, crappy telephoto lens, a uv and polarized filter, and a tripod. I also use lightroom to post process my pics. I consider myself an amateur who wants to get better. I'll attach some of my pics below but I am looking to get some advice on how to upgrade my equipment/ skill.
I have my own ideas on how to upgrade but I am really looking for other advice. I was thinking of getting a Canon 40d body but not sure on what lenses to get. Another possibility would be to sell all of my stuff and switch over to Nikon. I only say that because it seems like Nikon is getting alot of attention recently.
The bottom line is that I'm just looking for some opinions and thoughts on what to do. Thanks! (pics below)

Export-4117-2.jpg

Export-4126-4.jpg

Export-4193-2.jpg

Export-3949.jpg

Export-3982-Copy.jpg

Export-4025.jpg

Okay; so what does your current camera lack? I don't see anything in those images that a more expensive camera will make better. A good photographer can take a good picture with a crappy camera. A poor photographer can't take a good picture with any camera. Use what you've got, improve your skills, and then, later, worry about upgrading.

I'm not a Canon person, but from what I know of the Rebel line, they're good cameras. Don't forget that the camera body is only the recording device, and in most cases you're not going to be able to tell the difference between an image taken with your camera and one taken with a 1D Mk III.

If you have the money to spend, here's my order or priority:

1. Lenses (Don't buy cheap - if you can't afford good, don't buy one, and always check out used).

2. Tripod

3. Filters (These are optical accessories, again, don't buy cheap)

4. Useful accessories: Memory cards, remote release, etc

5. New camera body

Okay; so what does your current camera lack? I don't see anything in those images that a more expensive camera will make better. A good photographer can take a good picture with a crappy camera. A poor photographer can't take a good picture with any camera. Use what you've got, improve your skills, and then, later, worry about upgrading.

Well I don't think my camera lacks anything that I NEED, its more of a WANT (larger lcd, higher ISO). But I suppose it would be a waste of money when I could be investing in better lenses. So what are some lenses that I should look into getting. And what brand filters, because the ones I have are real cheap. Oh and I was thinking about the battery grip.
Thanks!

The type of lenses you should buy really depends on what type of photography you do. If you're more into landscapes and outdoor scenes, I'd look for a wide-angle zoom (Say, 14-24mm). If you want to concentrate on portraiture, peraps a 105mm, or even a 50mm; the Canon 50mm f1.8 is renowned for being a great price for the results it gives.

Filters: Tiffen and Hoya are good consumer brands, but make sure you buy their multi-coated lines. If you have a little more money than look to B+W, Singh-Ray, and Heliopan.

Battery grips are an excellent idea, especially if you plan to shoot weddings or other 'people' events. It sounds to me like you've got a bad case of GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome). It's hard to deal with, but be strong; you'll get over it. Don't forget, a good lens or filter is a life-time purchase. I'm still using stuff that I bought used 25+ years ago!

It sounds to me like you've got a bad case of GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome). It's hard to deal with, but be strong; you'll get over it.
Haha. Sadly I think you are right on. Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back