New To The Forums and Photgraphy

TAG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello my name is Thomas Godfrey, I'm originally from Prince Edward Island Canada but I am currently living in Nunavut Canada while I pay off my student loans. I graduated from Holland College on PEI as a mechanic and became a fully licensed red seal mechanic. I decided that was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life so I went back to school and graduated with my BBA from UPEI just this year. I've always had an interest in photography but have never had the time or the equipment to really get into it. I have had my trusty point and shoot for some time now and I love it but it was time to move up to something better. I currently have a Canon A620 Powershot, and just placed an order on a Canon Digital Rebel XSi. I also purchased 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, and F2.8 USM Macro Lenses. I have not purchased a tripod as of yet still looking into that purchase. I've tried to look into each purchase as much as possible before making it. It is a fairly interesting landscape up here so I think it will be a great place to build and practice my skills. I was referred to this site by a friend of mine and have a lot of reading to do to get some background knowledge before I start asking stupid questions.

Cheers,
TAG

Last edited:
Well I may as well post a few photos I've taken. Nothing spectacular but they are something for people to look at and tell me where I'm going wrong. Will also let people know where my "skills" lie. None of these photos were edited. I know the hoizon is off in the sunrise photo but it was too hard to keep it straight out on a fishing boat. There is also a lot of background in some of the pictures that should be cropped out but like i said these are untouched photos. I don't really have the knowledge to start editing pictures yet. I still have a lot of reading to do.

-TAG

300.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

313.jpg

289.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome. Pretty good for just getting started.

What is that in the very top left of your first photo? Looks like a cross up in the middle of the woods.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is a red seal??

Welcome aboard.

Hello Thomas, and welcome to TPF. I really like the pics you posted (and you've already commented on the tilted horizon, so I won't!)

You currently live in a unique part of the world, and I look forward to seeing lots of pictures from you!

Hello Thomas, and welcome to TPF. I really like the pics you posted (and you've already commented on the tilted horizon, so I won't!)

You currently live in a unique part of the world, and I look forward to seeing lots of pictures from you!

Yeah I fixed the horizon in that picture before but can't find the edited version so I'll have to go at it again some day. These were all taken with my Canon A620 P&S

The land is definitely unique, I hope to get some really nice shots while I'm up here. Plus I work part time at the airport so I can fly to all the little Northern communities for about 20 bucks a pop so I hope to return home with a plugged hard drive of pictures.

Thanks for the comments.

-TAG

I work part time at the airport so I can fly to all the little Northern communities for about 20 bucks a pop so I hope to return home with a plugged hard drive of pictures.
Lucky buggah!!!!

Just as a little tease I did manage to take a few picture when I was up here for a few days before work started. I can't wait to see this land scape with a little snow on it.

101.jpg

081.jpg

060.jpg

083.jpg

085.jpg

crop.jpg

I know the flower needs to be cropped, the back ground is too big and distracting, the boat one is cropped because I caught houses in the back ground and it ruined the picture. The icebergs down on the "beach" (and I use that term lightly) were really nice, wish I could have gotten to be around them at sunset or sunrise, but it wasn't meant to be. They are all gone now.

enjoy
-TAG

Hello, and welcome. Pretty good for just getting started.

What is that in the very top left of your first photo? Looks like a cross up in the middle of the woods.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is a red seal??

Sorry I missed this post when scanning through.

I would say that it's a telephone pole. I"ll look at the original closer tonight. This is only a couple minute walk off the main road. It's actually on Cape Breton's Cabot Trail. Basically a photographers paradise I think.

A red seal is basically saying that I am a licensed mechanic across Canada. So basically I"m no longer a back yard mechanic, I now have a paper that says I am a technician. Basically should get you more money, doesn't mean you're any smarter. Just means you're not a complete idiot when it comes to mechanic work. You have to write a series of tests and then one big test in order to receive this designation.

Once again sorry for the late reply.
-TAG

Last edited:
New Camera is on it's way here. Lets hope it's packaged well and does not get damaged in shipping like many items do coming up here.

-TAG

Most reactions

Back