New to this site with a camera question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by pbwhite, Jul 14, 2004.

1. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

He everybody, i'm new to this forum and it looks awesome, i'm really exited about it for helping me learn some new stuff about photography. I'm pretty much new to photography and i'm getting ready to buy a camera for primarily wildlife and landscape photography. I'm really considering the sony DSC-F828. What do you guys think about this camera for wildlife. I'd like one with a good zoom capability. Any advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm no expert and most of the technical terms used i'm not familiar with but i'm excited about learning. Thanks

Phillip :D

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the site :cool:

It looks like a decent digital camera. I personally would rather have an SLR camera with interchangeable lenses.

3. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

Any suggestions mike on an SLR camera that would be a good choice?? And why would you prefer this type of camera over the digital, if you don't mind me asking?? I Don't really know that much about either.

4. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

This is probably a dumb question and i appologize in advance but is an SLR camera just a regular 35mm camera?? Why are these better than digital?

Thanks for the help, i have a million questions about this stuff and am eager to learn and make the right choice before buying a camera.

5. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Manufacturers have Digital SLRs out now. They are like the older 35mm but they have a digital chip in the place of film.
    Canon has a digital Rebel for about the same price as the Sony 828. They also have a EOS 10d for a few hundred more. Or even Nikon one (d75?) for about the same.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, ask away...that's why we are all here...to learn.

SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex, which means that there is a mirror in the camera so that when you look through the viewfinder...you are looking out the lens and not just a little window.

SLR cameras can be either film or digital. The big advantage that a digital SLR has over a "regular" digital camera is the size of the sensor. If you look at the Canon Digital Rebel or the Nikon D70...they both have 6 MP sensors but will give you a much better image than the 8 MP Sony camera. Digital SLR cameras are expensive though. Film SLR cameras are much more affordable. A lot of us still shoot film and then scan the images so that we can digitally edit and display them.

Besides that, a camera with interchangeable lenses is infinitely more versatile than a camera that has a built in lens. Of course it's much more expensive to buy a bunch of different lenses but think of it as an investment. If you ever wanted to get a newer or just different camera body...you could still use all of the lenses.

Still, a conventional digital camera might be the right fit for you. If you do want to go this route, I would suggest that you get one that allows you to have some degree of control over the exposure. Look for a camera that has aperture priority mode, shutter priority mode and even full manual mode. This will allow you to gain a much better understanding of photography. It may or may not help you take better photos but at least you won't be one of those tourists taking snapshots without a clue. ;)

I hope some of this helped.

7. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

8. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

If i take a long range shot with a digital Camera such as the DSC-F828 will it be very clear?? And how clear will it be compared to a digital SLR or a film SLR?

9. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

Would you consider a digital SLR the best of both worlds?

10. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

So far, from everything that I have researched...yes.

Go to www.dpreview.com if you want to read reviews on different types.

11. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

so what is the main difference between the digital camera and an SLR digital camera besides the size of the sensor? Do digital SLRs just not have built in zoom and full manual control?

12. pbwhite

pbwhite TPF Noob!

well an SLR camera with attached lenses give a clearer picture than that of a digital zoom?