• nikon D5000

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

bmsgangster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking to spend around $800 for a camera with 2 lenses, I have been looking at the canon rebel t1i, today at costco I asked a guy working the camera area whats best and he said he would go with the nikon D5000 im new to the dslr cameras what should I go with :confused:

thanks brian

I am a Nikon guy but between these 2 cameras the Canon is a better choice.

i agree with chip here...d5000....eh. i'd skip it.

have you considered used?

commence canon v nikon war! ;)

i agree with chip here...d5000....eh. i'd skip it.

have you considered used?

commence canon v nikon war! ;)

I would buy used if it was right in my face and I could see it Im the kind of guy who only buys new off the net, but if there is a place in san diego I would buy used

I am a Nikon guy but between these 2 cameras the Canon is a better choice.

You really think so? I was just shopping for one and after handling them both at the store I went ith the Nikon. For me it was the feel of the camera and build quality. I personally just felt the cannon had a cheap hard plastic feel to it while the Nikon atleast seemed more solid. Ofcourse I could just be crazy lol.

on costco online the t1i is almost $30 cheaper and it comes with a free 4gb card

hotwire...thats pretty common thinking of build quality between the entry level cams of said brands...so it's understandable that you went with nikon.

how are you liking it? did you get the d5000?

maybe a quick review of your experience with your cam might help the op. :D

hotwire...thats pretty common thinking of build quality between the entry level cams of said brands...so it's understandable that you went with nikon.

I actually just picked it up today and have not really had much of a chance to mess with it. I purchased it at best buy as a packaged deal with Camera bag and the extra lense 55-200mm. It came to 849.99 in the store. You can however save 15% by using bing cashback. I live in hawaii so options are a little less for me.

I had experience with an old Minolta 35mm Camera back when I was a teen and the feel of that camera has stuck with me for nearly 15 years. One of the biggest issues I had with the Cannon over the Nikon besides the 'plastic quality' between them was the button layouts (especially the shoot button). The button on the Cannon jsut seemed out of place for me but i would imagine that for others they may really like it. I am sure that image quality they are neck and neck so the "feel" of the camera really means allot to me. I was more confortable with the Nikon over the Cannon, which led me to my decision. I think either way however you really need to handle any camera that you might be considering. I originally set out to purchase a Sony a500 so that goes to show you that handling them makes a difference. For the record though the Sony 'body' felt sturdier but the lens on it was really toyish feeling. The Cannon's lens felt better than the body did and the Nikon was right in the middle of both.

I also purchsed a uv filter and 8gb high speed mem card which shot up my total purchase price. I also bought in store so I paid tax. Since you are on the mainland I would suggest you purchase online or use cashback if available and use pick up in store option.

Oh I would have to say however that the nikon is not perfect and there are a couple things I do not like about it. The way the lcd mounts at the both of the camera seems odd to me and I would think it would get in the way if using a tripod. The body of the camera is bigger than the cannon and pretty much every other manufact of this size but is not a full size dslr either. So its like stuck in the middle however it does not bother me holding it.

Last edited:
im not sure what the cash back is unless it has to do with a credit card lol, most places have better prices online and dont do in store pick up with the online price, costco online shows it for $899 with 2 kit lenses when you add it to your cart its $799, but hey I bet you have got alot of nice pics to take

I actually just picked it up today and have not really had much of a chance to mess with it. I purchased it at best buy as a packaged deal with Camera bag and the extra lense 55-200mm. It came to 849.99 in the store. You can however save 15% by using bing cashback. I live in hawaii so options are a little less for me.

I had experience with an old Minolta 35mm Camera back when I was a teen and the feel of that camera has stuck with me for nearly 15 years. One of the biggest issues I had with the Cannon over the Nikon besides the 'plastic quality' between them was the button layouts (especially the shoot button). The button on the Cannon jsut seemed out of place for me but i would imagine that for others they may really like it. I am sure that image quality they are neck and neck so the "feel" of the camera really means allot to me. I was more confortable with the Nikon over the Cannon, which led me to my decision. I think either way however you really need to handle any camera that you might be considering. I originally set out to purchase a Sony a500 so that goes to show you that handling them makes a difference. For the record though the Sony 'body' felt sturdier but the lens on it was really toyish feeling. The Cannon's lens felt better than the body did and the Nikon was right in the middle of both.

I also purchsed a uv filter and 8gb high speed mem card which shot up my total purchase price. I also bought in store so I paid tax. Since you are on the mainland I would suggest you purchase online or use cashback if available and use pick up in store option.

the cashback I was referring to is Bing cashback. It will take like 60 days but money is money right lol. Yeah lots of photos to take here lol.

You really think so? I was just shopping for one and after handling them both at the store I went ith the Nikon. For me it was the feel of the camera and build quality. I personally just felt the cannon had a cheap hard plastic feel to it while the Nikon atleast seemed more solid. Ofcourse I could just be crazy lol.

youre not crazy, this is the reason i chose nikon when starting out. Not a big fan of the d5000 tho, little small for my liking

I was actually just in the same situation, and I went with the d5000. I've wanted an slr for over a year and since I work at best buy I could get my hands on them anytime I wanted to.

I really really really liked the feel of both the d90 and the 50d and if I had that much money to spend it would have been a really tough call and I'm not sure which one I would have gotten. But between the T1i and the D5000 it was Nikon hands down. The camera just felt so much better in hand, and I found the menu layout to be nicer and more intuitive. But some people have said the opposite about canon.

Only had it about a week and really only got to use it twice but I love it so far.

For 800 dollars you can get a better camera. You can pick up a Nikon D90 for 700 and get a 50mm f/1.8 for 100. That meets your budget and is a much better camera. It might not be 2 lenses but you can always save up for that later. GL
TJ

whats the Canon EOS Kiss X3 500D Rebel T1i , whats the diff bettween the t1i and the kiss t1i?

Most reactions

Back