New to this.

MdLyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am a student in high school and have loved taking pictures all my life. I've always been inspired by photography, and now im wanting to go into photojournalism. I'm totally new and I really only know the basics, and that may be pushing it. My dad just gave me his Canon AE-1, comments on it? Like I said, I know little to nothing on cameras and the equipment used and would like to start now. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mike

I'm in the same position as you. That being highschool and photojournalism. I myself haven't used that camera but I have herd many good thingss about it. Carry it everywhere you go take pictures of everything you can and then post them up here and people will help critique them or what ever you like. Don't be afraid to ask anything people are always there to help. Welcome to the forum hope you have a good time here

Thanks alot,
I know the camera is pretty old but thats about all I know about it. I know this will sound dumb but I have to start somewhere. Can somebody please tell me the basics I NEED to know, like shutter speed, etc. Thanks.

Mike

Wow, there is qhite a bit of info on there, thanks alot!

Any comments about the camera? Anything I need to know about it?

Mike

The AE-1 is an absolute perfect camera to start with!

IMO, the AE-1 and the Nikon F's are the best starter cameras. I lean more towards the Nikon F's beucase if you use AF lenses, you can use them on any other Nikon camera, you can't do that with canon's.

Here is a quick guide to exposure which may help you. Just remember that with this there are other things to consider like depth of field. Practise makes perfect!

Exposure.jpg

My first SLR was an AE-1 purchased used in 1981. Just weeks later, I sold it to buy the AE-1 Program. Although I no longer use it, I still have that camera and after 25 years, it still works like a champ. Prudently cared for, either should serve you well for learning not only basic photography...but advanced techniques, too.

Did your father give you any additional lenses or accessories with the camera? Depending on where you live and what you need, obtaining these items could be a challenge. For instance, several years ago I decided to buy a motor drive to replace an auto-winder gone bad. I had to go to a "collectibles" website to find one for sale.

But...a motor drive isn't essential to getting started. If you have a basic kit in hand, I think you're well on your way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back