New toy - 35mm f1.8

MikeBcos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally picked up the Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens, I've only taken a dozen shots so far but I LOVE the detail it produces!

D40, 35mm at f2.5, SB400

lolieface.jpg

The cat has now left the room - she's DONE with the flash! :lol:

That close, just about any lens will capture detail and 98% of the flash sailed right over the cats head. :thumbup:

That close, just about any lens will capture detail and 98% of the flash sailed right over the cats head. :thumbup:

I wasn't close, that's a 100% crop from the original photo.

Could you post the original photo? I have been looking at 35mm lenses and would like to see the full shot. Thanks!

The original shot really isn't good, I was just grabbing photos of a reluctant subject and playing with a very narrow depth of field, however, here it is:

wholelolie.jpg

It's a great lens, you'll have lots of fun with it - enjoy!

I have this lens. It's amazing it takes excellent quality pictures and is so sharp. Have fun with it and just experiment. have fun
tj

Yeah, I like this lens. :mrgreen:

I have noticed a difference in the way I use the camera, with the kit lens I would grab the camera, make sure it was in P mode and pop up the built in flash for all family snapshots. With this lens I am returning to my old 35mm creativity - the SB400 is permanently attached, the camera is in Aperture Priority mode and the function button is programmed as the ISO adjustment button.

This is photography as it should be - I have missed it!

tree.jpg

Glad you're enjoying photography again, that's the most important thing after all!

I'm a fan of the SB-400 myself, most under rated Speedlight in my opinion. Now get that thing off camera with a Nikon SC-17 and really have some fun (I mount mine on a monopod for simplicity).

Glad you're enjoying photography again, that's the most important thing after all!

I'm a fan of the SB-400 myself, most under rated Speedlight in my opinion. Now get that thing off camera with a Nikon SC-17 and really have some fun (I mount mine on a monopod for simplicity).

I have a cactus trigger and I have a basic strobe kit, I can fire the flash remotely but that isn't practical for grab-and-fire family photography, the fact the SB400 is now permanently attached is a big improvement!

I like the girl in the red.

I had a hard time choosing between the 35mm and the 50mm both 1.8 and chose the 50 for portraits. I still wonder about the 35mm and your photos look good!

The 50 is probably a better focal length for portraits, I think that may be my next lens. The 35 has become my standard lens though, I haven't used the kit zoom since I got it.

Most reactions

Back