New Toy & First Shots

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got me a new toy. Tamron 180mm f3.5 macro. Had to build myself a little bracket for my flash but works quite well. Also have a Lumiquest mini-softbox on the way.

p144283241.jpg

p72017405.jpg

Here's my first few shots. Nothing special I know, but there aren't many bugs out yet.

A random weed
p810020876-4.jpg

Another Weed
p631524639-4.jpg

Closeup of some moss
p769121658-4.jpg

About 1/4" long spider
p156138359-4.jpg

You don't see much talk about this lens, but so far it seems like a very sharp lens, albeit incredibly thin DOF with 1:1 and 180mm. Bokeh is very, very creamy. Should be fun at the zoo and butterfly house trip we are planning for next weekend.

No shooting data embedded. The thin DOF might be partially due to large aperture. What were your settings. I normally try to shoot macro at f/11-16. Just a thought. Really like the 2nd macro shot.

No shooting data embedded. The thin DOF might be partially due to large aperture. What were your settings. I normally try to shoot macro at f/11-16. Just a thought. Really like the 2nd macro shot.

F/13 on all so yeah this is just how thin the DOF is. I could try shooting at f/16 or beyond, but I'll start losing sharpness if I do that. However, a little less sharpness might be a decent tradeoff for more of the image in focus. I plan to do some real world tests to see.

At larger apertures (such as wide open) and 1:1 I was truly unable to get anything in focus. The DOF was thinner than what my eye could see I guess.

I've never shot a 180. I use a Canon 100. Wanting to go ahead a pull the trigger on an MP-E 65.

Yeah, MPE-65 would be sweet and I've often wondered if I should switch to Canon for it. I just don't think I'd enjoy it that much personally since you'd have to be so close at 1:1 - 5:1 and 65mm that I'd probably have a hard time shooting a lot of the live bugs around here. I definitely love everything I see people post from it though. I'll just try to be happy with this lens and a 1.4 TC giving me 1.4:1...maybe a Canon 500D filter in the future (or some tubes).

Really like the one of the moss!

And - Wow, I never thought of using the tripod collar to mount a flash to!
New project! :lol:

I use extension tubes not only on my 100, but on my 300L. Works pretty darn good. You might give it a try on the 180. I have a set of Kenko but also have a set of $90.00 Pro-optics. Air is air. I really can't tell the difference. They both work well.

Lol...yeah, new project for sure. It cost me all of $5 for the stuff at lowes and gets the flash closer. Only problem, as I mentioned earlier is that I will have to come up with something different for when I need to mount it on a tripod or monopod....haven't quite come up with what I'll do for that yet.

I use extension tubes not only on my 100, but on my 300L. Works pretty darn good. You might give it a try on the 180. I have a set of Kenko but also have a set of $90.00 Pro-optics. Air is air. I really can't tell the difference. They both work well.

I haven't heard of Pro-optics...I'll have to look that up. Do they have the contacts to keep metering and all that? $90 isn't bad at all.

I have to get a macro lens sometime in my future. Love the photos!

+1 definitely a new project , escpecially since I just got my new off camera flash receiver! Love the setup NateS and nice shots!

Another weed for me.... Shallow DOF works well.. :thumbup:

Thanks Tom. I had actually looked that up after you mentioned it. I'm going to wait and get the hang of 1:1 for awhile before going beyond that. Also considering the Kenko 1.4 TC which will get me to 1.4:1 and also give me 250mm for animal/zoo shots and greater subject to lens distance at 1:1 (versus less with a extension tube). I'm sure I will move to the 1.4 + tubes eventually though.

Alright. I made a new bracket. Total - $6.00 exactly (that like never happens) at Lowes. Now....I don't think I like the way the new bracket handles as well as the first, but it's not that much different. Still pretty easy to handle and easy to remove (just remove the flash or clamp. Best of all, my tripod mount is remained untouched so I can use a tripod or monopod (though I think I'll use it handheld a lot).

Anyway, thought I'd see what everybody thought of the new bracket......

Excuse the horrible P&S Pics

Oh, and I plan to paint the upper part of the bracket black....from the handles of the clamp on up to the flash...that way it blends in a little better.

Most reactions

Back