New TSA inspections, now anything larger than cell phone comes out!

Think Green!
If you have to fly - fly Economy.
http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default...cuments/clean_vehicles/greentravel_report.pdf

Top Five Rules of Thumb for Green Travel
#1 - Motor coaches and trains are a carbon bargain
#2 - Big SUVs and first-class flights usually have the largest carbon footprints.
#3 - For couples and solo travelers, a nonstop coach flight almost always beats an average car.
#4 - To significantly reduce your carbon footprint behind the wheel, drive or rent a more efficient car.
#5 - Avoid traveling during peak periods.

If you travel by Amtrak train, there is no TSA .

Amtrak allows - for free - 2 carry-on bags AND 2 personal bags, plus a small cooler if you want to carry such.
Amtrak - Policies - Baggage Policy & Service - Carry-On Baggage
Each passenger may bring 2 personal items, 25 lbs. and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and 2 carry-on items, 50 lbs. and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.
Amtrak Coach seats have way more pitch than economy class plane seats.

So if you have the time, ride the train.

I'm going to take a train from DC to NYC on tuesday -- with me ill have large bag full of electronics. no one will ever look at it.

assuming the train is full, that's around 300 passengers travelling to the heart of NYC unmolested by criminals! That's about twice the passengers of a 727 or 737.

im not sure what TSA is actually trying to accomplish. If one wanted mass causalities, he'd choose the train over the plane. Imho that also proves TSA is not about safety but control.

I am going out of my way and paying more just to avoid landing in any of the US Airports. I had an option of a stopover in SFO or HKG and SFO was $100 less....but no thanks

TSA is a jobs program to crafted to hire simple criminals and high school dropouts. nothing more.

it just happens to be under the guise of keeping you safe.

it is wasteful and inefficient and has introduced crime by pairing unsupervised criminals with no skills with your private belongings, like your cameras.

and again, since 2001 and $40 billion dollars later they still have yet to catch a single terrorist; although the TSA agents themselves continue to get arrested daily.

Not to mention how easy it is for auditors to smuggle anything past them.

Sounds like federal government to me.

TSA is a jobs program to crafted to hire simple criminals and high school dropouts. nothing more.

it just happens to be under the guise of keeping you safe.

it is wasteful and inefficient and has introduced crime by pairing unsupervised criminals with no skills with your private belongings, like your cameras.

and again, since 2001 and $40 billion dollars later they still have yet to catch a single terrorist; although the TSA agents themselves continue to get arrested daily.

Not to mention how easy it is for auditors to smuggle anything past them.

Sounds like federal government to me.

To both of you and others who may be tempted: please keep the discussion limited to the specifics of the OP. No politics.

I've seen people have to take their tablets out as well for the past few years, at least in NY airports.
Last time the wife and I flew out of a NY airport (earlier this year), we didn't have to take our shoes off, jacket off, belt off, liquids out of bag, or anything. It was really weird.

So I just got back from Philadelphia. Had to pull my laptop out of the bag and send it through in its own tote, remove shoes, etc. in both Sioux Falls and Philly. Camera bag went through the scanner but wasn't even opened.

Then things got weird in Chicago. Hey, it's Chicago. Bound to happen. Aside from the airline comping a hotel room and meal vouchers due to a weather delay, when I checked back in the next morning they didn't even have totes out. Laptop stayed in the bag. Camera stayed in the bag. When I took my shoes off, I got my a$$ chewed a little because they didn't have to come off. But without any totes in sight, I had already put my keys, wallet, phones, change, etc. in my shoes to go through the scanner, so they went through anyway. General security line, not Pre-check.

So that's the scoop. Probably the closest look my camera bag got checked was at the Museum of Art....

on a scale from 1 to 0 how safe do you feel now?

TSA = Thousands Standing Around. As told to me by an airline employee.

Most reactions

Back