New User to a Nikon D5200

erinc1193

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I'm new to this forum thing and fairly new to using my Nikon D5200, so bare with me!
I'm looking for advice on what lenses to use that are affordable for portrait photography. I have done a maternity shoot and an engagement-like shoot and also enjoy taking photos of my pets. I'm trying to learn more and discover techniques on how to use lighting and aperture. I'm still confused on all the terms and capabilities associated with my camera, but have been lucky enough to get pretty good results. However, I know my camera and I are capable of even greater things!
Any suggestions for good, easy to read references on how to make the most out of my equipment?

Check out what I've done so far on Facebook, my page name is In Depth Photography and I'm out of Wisconsin. Tell me what you think!
In Depth Photography - Mosinee Wisconsin - Photographer - Timeline Facebook

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm new to this forum thing and fairly new to using my Nikon D5200, so bare with me!
I'm looking for advice on what lenses to use that are affordable for portrait photography. I have done a maternity shoot and an engagement-like shoot and also enjoy taking photos of my pets. I'm trying to learn more and discover techniques on how to use lighting and aperture. I'm still confused on all the terms and capabilities associated with my camera, but have been lucky enough to get pretty good results. However, I know my camera and I are capable of even greater things!
Any suggestions for good, easy to read references on how to make the most out of my equipment?

Check out what I've done so far on Facebook, my page name is In Depth Photography and I'm out of Wisconsin. Tell me what you think!
You'll get a better response if you post a few photos here. Also, what lenses do you already have? And welcome aboard!

You'll get a better response if you post a few photos here. Also, what lenses do you already have? And welcome aboard!

Hi otherprof, could you help me out and tell me how I can attach photos to this thread? This is the first forum I have ever belonged to! :p

Also, I have a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens, a TAMRON AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens (on its way), a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikko Lens (on its way), and 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses.

Since you are still learning how to use the camera (no disrespect intended - we all had to learn) I would suggestone of the kit lens for now. Since it's a crop sensor, you should be able to get away with 55 - 85mm to start. I am not a portraitist, but a fast 85mm would probably be a nice lens to save up for.

There are a number of cheap or free tutorials online to help you get away from "green box Auto" mode. Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera Bryan Peterson 0884798534707 Amazon.com Books is pretty much a standard.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Since you are still learning how to use the camera (no disrespect intended - we all had to learn) I would suggestone of the kit lens for now. Since it's a crop sensor, you should be able to get away with 55mm to start. I am not a portraitist, but a fast 85mm would probably be a nice lens to save up for.

There are a number of cheap or free tutorials online to help you get away from "green box Auto" mode. Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera Bryan Peterson 0884798534707 Amazon.com Books is pretty much a standard.

Thanks snowbear, I do have the two kit lenses it came with and have had great results so far. I have had my camera and those lenses for almost three months now. I really like my 55-200mm kit lens and use that the most, but wasn't sure if I should/could get something beyond that for even better photos. Farther up I listed the lenses I have invested in so far. Hopefully I made some good choices. I have been trying really hard to understand all the lingo associated with photography, but a lot of it still escapes me. :(

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, I'm new to the D5200 as well, jumping up from the D3000. I was using the kit 18-55 and noticed I was always at or around the 55mm. So I picked up the 50/f1.8 and for me, its much easier to get the shot right. After a little I bought the 85/f1.8, this is a cool lens. Both these are great for portraits and are affordable. Still learning myself, and welcome.

I would suggest a trip to your local or regional library, and a perusal of the photography books section. There are loads of books about all types of photography. I looked at your FB site. I think any number of books on general photography, or portrait/family/child photography could be of help. Welcome to TPF!

First off, welcome to the forum! Always great to have new faces around here!

For lenses, all you're really missing is an 85mm f/1.8G, which is an outstanding lens. I could also recommend a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 Pro II, which is fairly inexpensive. It's an ultra-wide, but translates very well into portrait photography with the proper application. Outside of that, the only other lenses I could really recommend wouldn't be till you "grow out of" your 18-55 and 55-200.

Portraits with the D5200 go well with any of these lenses:
  • Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G: for group shots, and for outdoors half body shots, with some background composition. This is an FX lens, so if you upgrade in the future, you can keep it.
  • Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX: for indoors half body shots. This is a DX lens, however if you upgrade in the future you can also keep it, once this particular DX model works nicely in full frame sensors as well, in FX mode.
  • Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art: This constant f/1.8 zoom lens will be very flexible, and is said to be the best high-end top-quality DX lens out there these days. It's a DX only lens.
  • Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G: for indoors head shots, with great bokeh. The 'Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D' also works, but it will be a manual focus lens only, with the D5200. Thes are FX lenses, so if you upgrade in the future, you can keep them.
  • Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G: for external/outdoors portraits. This is an FX lens, so if you upgrade in the future, you can keep it too.

Most reactions

Back