Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CJThePhotographer, Feb 22, 2010.
Here is my new website Wix.com - Website built by CjK3lly based on Blank Website
I have enough to share.
Long time loading but looked attractive once it loaded. You may want to figure out how to get it to load faster. Lots of folks won't wait that long.
I sort of agree with the slow part. Does look good, though. My advice would be this. Leave your site like it is, and if you have enough time, learn to code your own. I have 2, (non-photography related) that we use for the shop. I lease my own servers, not really expensive, so no pop ups and fast loading pages. It's not very hard at all to code your own, and if interested, I can rec a couple of books that can have you up and running in a week. As you advance, you can add all kinds of bells and whistles.
For the more complex site, I built that using both MS Expression studio, and some hand coded stuff mixed together.
I understand if you are too busy, or have no desire to learn the basics, of Web design, but if you do, the results can be very nice, without being stuck with templates and limitations of going to a commercial "web page" building site, and get very creative as you learn.
Anyway, I do think your site is very nice looking, but slow and "sponsored". Not trying to be harsh, just giving my honest opinion.
Good luck with your business,
also agree...slow initial load (and im on a t1).
once it does load its pretty nice looking.
1. the big pic on your homepage is a hotspot, but when clicked just loads another version of that pic on top of everything else...not really sure if thats what you want.
2. im also not a huge fan of canned sites, but alas, not everyone has the knowledge or money for a custom site from the ground up.
3. i have to scroll vertically on your port page, and im set at 1920x1200...cant imagine what 1024x768 would look like.
4. once in a section of your port, the nav may not need the portfolio button...as it takes you back to the port page. i only say that since i can go from section to section from there rather than dumping back up a level to your portfolio page.
maybe have the sections as a drop down from a mousover of the portfolio button? idk just thinking out loud.
5. when i click a photo to see full size, it places it in such a way that i have to scroll to see it. i think thats a huge negative.
the aesthetics are rather nice, but i think it needs a lot of fine tuning.
pass it over, bitter. please?
im noticing some sort of coding issues too...
im on the commercial/nature page, and i click the flower.
big version of flower comes up but the entire top row of pics disappears. i can bring it back by clicking the flower. not good.
i click another from the top row...same result...rather than bring back the top row, i click on one from the bottom row.
now both rows disappear, and the second pic i click on is layered on top of the previous one i had clicked on. again, not good.
you need to test the entire site for functionality before you go live.
sorry to be harsh, but websites are 50% of what i do for a living so im a little tough when it comes to functionality.
Same here. Slow load time. Also links don't seem to take me where they should. Your action link in the portfolio kept taking me to portraits.
Thanks im goin to work on it. Se what i can do about the slow loading
Congratulations on your website and wish you all the best...
web page is loading really fast, workflow is simple. i think you did a really good job.
Separate names with a comma.