New Website Launched: Some Marketing/Branding/Image Questions...

Jayce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, all. I finally got my new website launched yesterday (Tampa Baby, Family, and Wedding Photographer | Michael Jayce Photography). Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding between two photos on the about page. One of them is a "better" photograph (the one which is currently displayed on About Me | Michael Jayce Photography), but I don't appear to be happy in it. The others are more personal, but are just webcam snapshots with my family. It's posted below.

This may be a goofy question, but I think image is super important. So, the "good", unhappy photo, or the other set?

aboutpolaroids.jpg

Also, even though this isn't the correction section, website critique would be appreciated.

In answer to your question about the photograph, I'm going to have say neither. You're a photographer and you're talking about using webcam snapshots on your website???? Please. These days a business owner's website is one his/her most important tools - take a day or three and shoot some really good shots to use.

With respect to the website itself? I would suggest a little refinement. The home page is HUGE; someone on a slow connection (Yes, dial-up still exists) is going to get fed up and move on before all of the images there load. Your home page should be light, easy to read, and convey the most important information: Who you are, where you are, and what you can offer. Couple that with one or two of your BEST images, and you'll be in good shape.

I can find no way to get in touch with you - the contact heading seems to loop back to more images. I would suggest having at minimum a telephone number on your home page as well as full contact (Name, address, telephone, mobile and e-mail addresses) on a contact page.

I would change the heading "Investment" to something a little more appropriate, eg "Pricing". My first thought when I saw that was, "You want me to invest in your company????"

A number of the links on the navigation bar seem to point to the wrong locations. It's a good start, but I would put a little more time and effort into it. I would also consider getting a website that is fully independant, not a sponsored 'site.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John​

This may be a goofy question, but I think image is super important. So, the "good", unhappy photo, or the other set?
I would keep the one you have up already out of those choices. I don't think I would be putting any web-cam shots up there...

Couldn't you just take a good, 'happy' photo and put that up?

Great for the Facebook crowd, but on a professional website....no way, neither one. Keep the photo listed on your About page.

I can find no way to get in touch with you - the contact heading seems to loop back to more images. I would suggest having at minimum a telephone number on your home page as well as full contact (Name, address, telephone, mobile and e-mail addresses) on a contact page.

A number of the links on the navigation bar seem to point to the wrong locations. It's a good start, but I would put a little more time and effort into it. I would also consider getting a website that is fully independant, not a sponsored 'site.

It's a good idea to add a phone number to the main page. Although, I'm unable to replicate any navigation issues. Contact link appears to work.

What do you mean by "sponsored"? It's on my own server, and there's no ads of any kind on it.

I am semi-surprised by the dislike of the webcam shots. I think it would add a bit of personality to the about page. The photo I'm using now feels very sterile, while the verbiage of the page is very down-to-earth/friendly.

What do you mean by "sponsored"? It's on my own server, and there's no ads of any kind on it.
Sorry, my mistake, I read the last page a little too quickly and mistook your credit for WordPress to be something else. Apologies.

John

I am semi-surprised by the dislike of the webcam shots. I think it would add a bit of personality to the about page. The photo I'm using now feels very sterile, while the verbiage of the page is very down-to-earth/friendly.

It's not so much that people dislike the webcam shots, but rather (I beleive) that they seem inappropriate for a webiste advertising professional photography. Try and view it from from a customer's point of view: If you want to engage someone to photograph your wedding, and the photographs on his/her website are webcam-quality, you could naturally be excused for thinking that the quality of work you will recieve will be of a similar calibre.

To put it another way, would you trust your car to a mechanic whom you saw driving a ten year old, rusted out, smoking, squealing jalopy? In the business world, appearances count. HUGE!

It's not so much that people dislike the webcam shots, but rather (I beleive) that they seem inappropriate for a webiste advertising professional photography. Try and view it from from a customer's point of view: If you want to engage someone to photograph your wedding, and the photographs on his/her website are webcam-quality, you could naturally be excused for thinking that the quality of work you will recieve will be of a similar calibre.

To put it another way, would you trust your car to a mechanic whom you saw driving a ten year old, rusted out, smoking, squealing jalopy? In the business world, appearances count. HUGE!

Exactly. Right now your about page photo looks very professional looking. Even the color of your photo seems to match your website....I like that...it looks good. Leave it or re-shoot it and try a smile or something more casual yet professional. Make sense?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back