New, would love advice

Momof3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here and would love some advice. First, let me say I have NO photography skills what so ever. I'm a stay at home Mom who is trying to figure out what to do with my life. My youngest starts 1st grade in a month and for the first time in 11 years I will be FREE! I'm SO nervous about this believe it or not. I was in college when I got pregnant for my first baby and never went back after she was born. I went on to have three more and just stayed home to raise them. Now I find myself with no college education and it's time for me to decide on a career and get things moving. I have always been interested in portrait photography from a pretty young age. Idk what it is, but I love it. I started taking pics of my own kids when my second daughter was born and slowly people started asking me to take pics of their kids. I've never allowed anyone to pay me for my service, just not my style. Well, now I'm trying to decide whether or not to take some college courses in the Fall. I need people who are NOT my family and friends to give me their honest opinions. I use a Nikon D40X, and have been trying to figure out photoshop (SO HARD) My husband will support anything and everything I choose to do, but I'm just so nervous about putting myself out there at 35 and knowing nothing. Are community college photography classes worth it? But how else will I learn and make a career of this?

Anyway, sorry for the book. Just wanted to explain my situation. I took some photo's of my neighbor's newborn recently, so I will post a few of her and one of my kids I took a few weeks ago. I must say, babies are my FAVORITE subjects. I know it's only okay to post like three photos, so if anyone would like me to upload more before you can tell me if I suck or not, I could create an album on photobucket or flicker or something. I've taken thousands and thousands of photos, I'm just going to post my most recent for now. Oh, and I shoot in AUTO! I have soo much to learn! :(

MM.jpg

MM5.jpg

upnorth2.jpg

I can't figure out why when I upload to photobucket, my pics look blurry and bad quality. Any idea? Grrrrr.

Thanks in advance.

Brooke

Last edited:
Usually people actually post the images on the thread and not links. Theres way too many threads on here for people to wanna click on links to see your photos.

Usually people actually post the images on the thread and not links. Theres way too many threads on here for people to wanna click on links to see your photos.

lol, sorry.. I didn't mean to do that.

I like the first one. the pose and what not. gives the feel of the child still in the womb. I think if u would have got a little more of the face it would b better.

the second one looks good also but not sure why u put the rings on the toes?

the third one looks great. good lighting and good location for the shot, the only thing i can say is that the boys foot is cut off. thats a no no. these are my opinions and im in no way a pro so take them with a grain of salt. so with that said keep it up it looks like u are on your way to being a great photographer.

1- Great. I love it.
2- Good, wouldnt hurt to have about one more stop of DOF so you had the lower foot in focus also.
3- It appears to be of good focus, but the boys foot is cut off, and the grass is distracting. For future reference, I think it would work better if you took them down on the beach and had the sun hit them dead on the face (or a little off to either side, not overhead.) and take the shot. With great lighting, it would have been much more successful.

I think youre well on your way to be a great photographer. You seem to have the eye for it. Now just some reading on basic concepts of composition (rule of thirds), exposure, and lighting. Look forward to seeing more of your photos.

Mark

In my opinion, you seem to have a very good eye for photography and are doing interesting things. Your composition is very nice, and your exposures seem to be right on as well.

I agree with the comment above about cutting off the boy's leg, but I like the triangular composition. Although, the image seems to be flowing from right to left because of the way the girls are leaning so you could have moved the composition over so that the younger girl is closer to the right edge of the image. That would have also served to preserve the boy's leg.

In the second image, a prior poster commented about the rings on the toes. Personally, I LOVE the symbolism of the wedding rings representing that the parents love and marriage resulted in this child. LOVE it!

The first pic is a lovely in it's contrast of light and dark. Having the baby on a dark background is ideal. The baby's pose, all curled up like that, is fabulous as well.

Yes, community college photography classes are worthwhile, depending on the instructor. If you're going to try photography as a career, some business classes might be beneficial as well.

Maybe you could find a photographer in the area and have an "informational interview" with him/her. You could offer to buy him/her lunch and then chat about photography and photography as a career. I used to teach at a small technical college and had students do informational interviews with me from time to time (about IT, though, not photography).

I think that you have the talent and the interest to be a good photographer. There's the matter of hard work and study to give you tools with which to allow that talent and interest to flow forth!

Love the rings!!!! The third photo is a bit cool. (too much blue.)
But not bad overall. Good exposure, good balance.
The first photo is my favorite.. That is a keeper!
Congrats on the good work, and keep shooting!

Ive taken some photo classes at a CC before and those where all shootin Film. This was recently by the way. they did have one class involving digital but that was more geared towards Photoshop. Something to keep in mind. I live in ventura county which i like to think is up to date so its kinda weird to me they dont do a lot more digital stuff. Food for thought

thanks to everyone so far. I honestly never knew cutting a foot off was bad. You've already taught me something!!

Anyone know of a good book to get me started learning how to shoot in manual, or a good site that will help me to learn it? The very thought of it scares me because I think I'm a slow learner.

thanks to everyone so far. I honestly never knew cutting a foot off was bad. You've already taught me something!!

Anyone know of a good book to get me started learning how to shoot in manual, or a good site that will help me to learn it? The very thought of it scares me because I think I'm a slow learner.

Try program mode first. It will give u Control over some actions first like white balance, ISOs and what not and then gradually progress to manual mode is something u could do. granted i shoot canon so i dont know what its like on your nikkon body.

I can't comment on your learning ability, but I can say that I like what you've shown us here and think that if you've learned or are instinctually able to make images like these, you'll not have any real trouble learning.

I'll also say that I am a slow learner. I have a certified learning disability. I'm also a successful IT project manager, and a pretty fair photographer. Keep in mind that Albert Einstein (himself reportedly learning disabled) said: "Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater."

That said, I believe that you're more than capable of learning to shoot in manual mode with practice and study.

For a real basic primer, this is the best that a bit of Google-fu returned to me: Using your DSLR in Manual Mode - a knol by Kerry Garrison (or go look at Samanax's post... sheesh... while I was typing this he came up with a pretty comprehensive list of links!)

Somewhere I have a similar type of thing typed up somewhere for an e-mail that I sent my best friend when she was learning to shoot in manual. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Last edited:
I can't add much in comments about your images. To be sure, there are technical issues. What you have posted, posing wise, has been done by many other photographers and there is nothing wrong with using what obviously works. There is little in portraiture that hasn't already been done or tried.

Your next challenge is learning how your camera works and making creative exposure decisions based on that knowledge, rather than relying on a computer program written by some camera engineer.

Photoshop is a very complex piece of software. Daily, it gets used in ways the designers never antisipated. It cannot be learned very effieciently by just doing, some guidance is necessary.

Scott Kelby is the top author of Photoshop books (just search 'Scott Kelby' on Amazon).

He also has the web site www.photoshopuser.com which is the home of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP). NAPP requires a $100 yearly membership fee, that will more than pay for itself in a years time just from all the Photoshop education you can get by joining (forums, video tutorials, magazine). Plus, Scott has arranged a plethora of discounts from other companies that will easily save a bunch of money as you ramp up your photography. If you use my referral link below in my signature to join, I won't mind a bit.

So, your next goal should be to get the camera out of Auto mode and see what you can do. :thumbup:

You people are so helpful, THANK YOU! All those links above, I'll be studying up. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back