New Year's Day at the lake

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The wind chill was -15 today so the only sane thing to do was curl up on the couch for some TV binge watching. SO... Peeb packs up and goes to the lake! Too many shots for one thread, but here are a few of my favorites.

1. Pelicans landing
MJK_4832.jpg

2. Ducks landing (smart people- help me with ID)
MJK_4525.jpg

3. Ring necked drakes
MJK_4631.jpg

4. American Coots (I think??)
MJK_4770.jpg

5. Redtail Hawk
MJK_4787.jpg

6. Pelicans in shimmering water
MJK_4839.jpg

Very nice set. Love the first one and the sun reflections on the last one.

Nice hawk. I like the #1, too.

Cropped out the seagull and put a little blur vignette on #6
MJK_4839 dreamy_DxO.small.jpg

Great way to spend your day (aka freeze your butt off). I like those pelican shots. The birds in #4 are coots and the ones in #2 might be gadwalls based on tail structure and white speculum, but I could easily be wrong on #2.

Great set of shots shared :)

Great way to spend your day (aka freeze your butt off). I like those pelican shots. The birds in #4 are coots and the ones in #2 might be gadwalls based on tail structure and white speculum, but I could easily be wrong on #2.
How about Northern Pintails?

Peeb, they could be, but I didn't notice a sprig (the pintail) on any of the birds and also pintails have a white band along the trailing edge of the wing. In your photo the ducks have more of a white block of feathers in the wing, that's what had me thinking gadwalls. I know there are several guys on here that know their bird IDs far better than me. Now, you have an excuse to go chase some birds and see if you find them again.;)
Gadwall photo - Anas strepera - G95318

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back