New!

DoshKel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm pretty new at photography, so I thought I would throw up a couple shots. Hope you guys like them. Tell me what you hate and like. Thanks!

1)
2819971632_ecafef606c.jpg

2) (color is funky because of this lamp thing, but it kind of makes him look... more mad?)
2819954422_5612750299.jpg

3)
2819128899_d98062e663.jpg

4)
2800631739_965ff6f8cb.jpg

5)
2801477300_4dbf4c9391.jpg

6)
2787607332_c85a9c650e.jpg

7)
2786748583_407092dc0e.jpg

I really like number 1. The rest seem just like snapshots.

Thanks guys :).

They are all really snapshots. I've never really planned a shot before. I like to take quick pictures with my friends and other people I have met. I really want to get into street photography and the like. I have to get my guts up though haha.

Thanks again.

I actually think 7 is pretty cool as well as 1.

The detail on the fur on the animals is nice to look at, but the shots need some help.

First tip would be to not use that built-in dead-on flash. It does bad bad things to people. Also don't get too close to people and things with your lens unless you're doing a macro. It does weird bendy things to people's faces.

Thanks for the compliments :).

I do hate to use the flash on the camera. Since it somewhat bothers people and makes everything look odd sometimes. Do you recommend buying an external flash, or controlling the manual settings on the camera to achieve proper lighting without the use of a flash?

Thanks for the compliments :).

I do hate to use the flash on the camera. Since it somewhat bothers people and makes everything look odd sometimes. Do you recommend buying an external flash, or controlling the manual settings on the camera to achieve proper lighting without the use of a flash?

Get an external flash, yes, but try very hard not to use it. Nothing wrong with turning up the ISO a bit here and there, though you have to then accept you'll have some noise in your shot.

If you don't like the noise, or if you have to use the external flash for other reasons... bounce it off the ceiling or something. (or get a diffuser, or a bounce card, or some combination of the three... just avoid direct)

I consider an external flash one of the critical tools for everyone's photo kit.

Gotta have it.

Awesome. I really wanted to get one, but never convinced myself yet haha. I'm looking at: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-430EX-Speedlite-Flash-Cameras/dp/B000AO3L84/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex[/ame]

I'm also thinking about the 580EX, but not sure I want to spend the money. What do you guys think? And i'm using an Xti by the way.

I bought the 430EX. It is fine for casual flash usage. The main advantage of the 580 is a bit more coverage (58 meters vs 43 meters) and that it can be used as a master.

I find myself using my flash more and more, but mostly outside for fill flash. If you use it inside, try to bounce the flash and get a diffuser. That will help with the harshness that the bare, straight-on flash gives you.

I use an XTi and a 430 EX. It is a good combination. I once got decent shots at a performance in the cafeteria of my kids' school shooting 105mm with the external flash at full power. They were somewhat noisy from high ISO but there wasn't any motion blur and they only needed minor levels of exposure adjustment in PP. I wasn't clear across the room but I was definitely a few rows toward the back and off to the side.

I usually am too lazy to bring my reflector so I try to bounce it off the ceiling (as others have mentioned already). If you're a beginner, you should be OK with the 430 EX. When you're ready for the more advanced features of the 580, you will still have the 430 to use as extra lighting. :)

Ok awesome. My next purchase is going to be a flash. A couple questions though.

Everyone is saying bounce it off the ceiling. Do you mean to simply point the flash at the ceiling, or is there a different, more effective way of doing this?

As for the diffuser, this guy I know takes pictures in a night club for work. Whenever he is pressing the shutter, he always has his hand cupped/behind the flash. Is this not good? Sorry... I thought it was really interesting when I first saw him do it. I would probably be better off just buying a diffuser no? :)

Thanks very much guys. Extremely helpful information :).

Ok awesome. My next purchase is going to be a flash. A couple questions though.

Everyone is saying bounce it off the ceiling. Do you mean to simply point the flash at the ceiling, or is there a different, more effective way of doing this?

As for the diffuser, this guy I know takes pictures in a night club for work. Whenever he is pressing the shutter, he always has his hand cupped/behind the flash. Is this not good? Sorry... I thought it was really interesting when I first saw him do it. I would probably be better off just buying a diffuser no? :)

Thanks very much guys. Extremely helpful information :).

You want to bounce the flash off of another surface that allows you to get diffused non-direct light on your subject. Whatever surface happens to be available is the one you use... I most frequently use a ceiling or a wall, but there are all kinds of methods.

I think bouncing it off of your hand is going to be a little silly just because it's going to take a lot of work and make it harder to get a really good overall shot, however, in a pinch, you use what you can.

I have in my camera bag a plastic diffuser which sits on top of the flash (cheap and works well), as well as a vinyl "bounce card" that velcros onto the flash. There are a whole bunch of other solutions, but at one point I even had an index card rubber-banded to the back of the flash and bent over it to serve as a "portable ceiling" for when I was in a room with 20' high ceilings... you use what works. :)

Most reactions

Back