New-

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, my name is Danielle. I just bought a new Canon EOS 7D- They say confession is good for the soul-- So, I will tell you I have no idea how to use it! But, I WILL learn!!!!

Welcome to TPF!

You are starting right where 99.99999% of the rest of us did.

"What do I do with THIS?"

"NOW what?"

"How will I ever learn all this stuff"

Exact same place that the best photographers who ever lived began.

And you have a lot of help available right here on TPF.

You will learn just like everyone else did, and what you learn will be a direct result of the time and effort you put into learning it.

Happy shooting!

Danielle,
Here's a simple way to start:
Take it out of the box --> insert the battery --> attach the lens --> turn it ON --> since you're green (newbee :) ) shoot on green - turn onto the auto mode :)

BUT if you want to take it a step further set it to Program mode pop the flash out when its dark and pay attn to what camera is doing :)
There are HUNDREDs of books out there, regardless which you'll choose what you will have/need to learn is exposure, lighting, composition.

If you got Qs, ask away, PM around.

Good Luck

Welcome aboard and happy shooting!

WOW! What a welcome!
It's out of the box! I take it EVERYWHERE!

The dummies book isn't out yet, but I did order it. It should ship to me on the 21st.

The dummies book isn't out yet, but I did order it. It should ship to me on the 21st.
Look into Magic Lantern Guide for your camera. Very good books and DVD series

Welcome aboard.

I usually don't recommend camera specific books. The basics of all these types of cameras is the same as it's been for 100 years. You have a lens and you can control the shutter speed and the aperture. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Hi! I just got a new camera too, have no idea how to use it...just take it out and fiddle with it :)

Welcome aboard.

I usually don't recommend camera specific books. The basics of all these types of cameras is the same as it's been for 100 years. You have a lens and you can control the shutter speed and the aperture. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Huh, sounds greek to me.

I guess I do know or did know a few things about photography. I did take photo for 4 years in high school.. but wait.. I am 41 (the new 29) now!

I do just need to play with it. Like today. I wanted to do.. oh crips, what was it.. I had NO IDEA how to use it.

I will note-- I am my FAVORITE subject :lol:-- You know hold the camera and take a picture of meeeeeeeeeee.. Well, this camera is way to big for this.. I do carry two other small ones JUST FOR MEEEEEEEEEEE!:blushing:

My point was that I don't think you should buy a book 'for the 7D'.
If you want a book...get one about 'photography'...or maybe 'digital photography'.

I've got one that might be worth looking at....'The Digital Photographer's Handbook' by Tom Ang.

'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Peterson is also one that is often recommended.

My point was that I don't think you should buy a book 'for the 7D'.
If you want a book...get one about 'photography'...or maybe 'digital photography'.

I've got one that might be worth looking at....'The Digital Photographer's Handbook' by Tom Ang.

'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Peterson is also one that is often recommended.

Thank you for the suggestion. I WILL be looking into the one you suggested!!

Ahh, I have no idea how to edit either. How do people get a touch of color in black and white pictures?

Three things I aspire to do in life:
1. Learn to walk in high heals.;)
2. Learn how to edit pictures I take
3. Learn when know when it's time to walk away.:D

Most reactions

Back