Newb camera decision...

indie snob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to this whole photography scene and need help on a good DSLR to get started with. I've narrowed my searches to the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT. I know you die hard fans of each respective brand are going to support the brand you know. But, maybe an impartial professional or a moderator could even help. This is a HUGE decision so please help.:blushing:

The next thing i ask of you wonderful people is which lense to get. With the canon, the lense i'd get is an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6. With the Nikon, the two lenses i have to choose from are an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G and a
28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G lense. Like all photographers i want the lense to be able to go wide enough but also give me a descent enough zoom.:wink:

I'll be shooting mostly outdoors but that may change. Either way i'll be shooting either 60% outdoors and 40% indoors or 60% indoors and 40% outdoors. This will mostly depend upon the weather because it can get pretty snowy up here in upstate NY. This is nice because now i can get some good boarding shots.:p

I'm going to start off with either one of these cameras shooting without a mounted flash until i get the hang of what my needs are and become more accustomed to photography. ;)

Just a final point to this lengthy post--I'll be buying from online to avoid tax and in some cases shipping:hail: . (Beachcamera.com--i hope it's reputable)
Any advice on general digital photography sites or magazines that can get me in the loop of how cameras work and get me informed on the jargon would be much appreciated.
All right members of TPF...GO NUTS!!!:mrgreen:

oH, i forgot....are there any accesseries that i'd need or that you folks recommend? at least give me the essential accessories i'd need...

About the brand (Nikon vs. Canon), the best response is probably just to go hold each, take a few shots, and go with your initial thought. If you don't currently have any brand specific lenses, it is hard to say go one way or the other. I may suggest if you do this though, you may want to try each (at least the XT, I haven't tried a Nikon), with the battery pack on. Firstly because the extra battery life is especially handy, as well, many people find the XT to be very tiny when holding (I will have to agree), and the battery pack helps to solve this problem.
A good site which compares cameras is www.dpreview.com
Hope this helps. :)

main decision i need to make is on lense...18-55mm or 28-80mm for nikon? Canon is pretty much out of my price range. unless i hear that canon is vastly better

Most reactions

Back