Newb here...have ?'s about cameras

Rebel Storm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys and gals. I am new to this forum and have a couple ?'s about cameras. I have been photographing for the past 4 years. My latest camera is the Rebel XT. I have read several reviews about this camera and the new Rebel XTi...some good and some not so good. Here is my dilema...it seems in order to be respected as a photographer you should own a 30D or above. I am presently looking to buy a new camera and am tossing the idea of the XTi or the 30D. My problem is I am very petite...5'1" barely above 100 lbs. My ring finger is a 3 1/2. My 12 yo nephew has larger hands than me. I have tried the 30D and it seems very heavy for me and my fingers can't grip the camera body very well. My finger barely is able to operate the shutter button. For the little time I was able to try this camera my wrist grew very tired. I don't want to spend that kind of money just to let the camera sit in my bag because I can only shoot 2 hrs versus 6 hrs. I guess to make a long ? short, is the Rebel XTi really that less of a camera when compared with a 30D? I don't know if the benefits of the 30D would outweigh my comfort level with my current XT or the new XTi. Any input from you professional guys and gals would be greatly appreciated.

My wife is your size. She shoots with a 20D with a battery grip and a 70-300 lens for several hours at a time. Neck straps help.

The XTi is a nice beginners camera....small but nice.

First, welcome the TPF. You will find everyone here friendly and helpful. second, don't sell yourself short. (bad pun, sorry) Many young ladies I know who are photographers shoot bigger pro bodies without fatigue problems. One shoots a Nikon D2X and her favorite lens is a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. Another is a PJ at a regional major newspaper and always has 2 D1 series bodies on her neck with heavy pro zooms. My wife is 5'2" and had no problem shooting any of my cameras, Nikon D1's and F5's. As an aside, when I shot handguns competitively, the best shooter in Cincinnati was a young 15 Y.O. little lady about 85 pounds and she shot a 44 auto-mag exclusively. Size really has little to do with it. (My wife is pretty good with a pistol too, might have something to do with us being together for 35 years. She keeps repeating "death before divorce")

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I also have carpral tunnel...another reason I had a hard time with the 30D (I only tried it for about 10 minutes and my wrist started to burn.) I am not sure if with over time I would grow a custom to the 30D or if I should just stick with what works. I like my XT...yes I know it is small, but it works for me.

A 20D with battery grip is probably pretty heavy also, and yes I have a neck strap I just don't like to use it.

I really don't think I am selling myself short...I am small, but not weak. The 30D just seemed a bit awkward, cumbersome and bulky to me.

I've never heard anything about needing at least a 30D to be respected as a photographer. The main thing I hear is to use a camera you're comfortable with. There's nothing wrong with the XT, and as far as I know the XTi's only improvement is megapixels.

The camera doesn't make the photographer after all.

Here is my dilema...it seems in order to be respected as a photographer you should own a 30D or above.

That's a load of crap.

Buy what you think is best for you, and be happy. If a rebel is most comfortable, and you're not limited by it, than why spend $1100+ on a new camera, when you can use that money to go travel and shoot with what you've got?

Thank you for all your input. I have thought about the pros and cons and I have decided to go with the XTi. I think I will be more comfortable with this camera. And yes, the last two comments pretty much sealed the deal for me...thanks guys:D Tolyk is absolutely correct about the camera doesn't make the photographer. I have seen some wonderful photography from a point and shoot and even a camera phone.

Do you have any suggestions for lenses? I have two lenses that came with my XT...18-55mm and 75-300mm. I also have a EF 28-135mm IS USM. The 28-135mm rarely ever comes off my camera. My photography consists of portraits and weddings.

You might want to invest in some prime lenses. I'm not very good at portraits yet, but from what I've read a 90 or 105 mm prime lens would fit nice into your collection.

Why would you upgrade from the XT to the XTi? The only difference is 2+ megapixel gain and is that really worth the extra money?

Drop the money on some nice glass if you really must spend some cash. :D

The prime lens suggestion is a good one. 50mm f/1.8 can be had for around $80. I'm planning on getting an 85mm one of these days.

Why would you upgrade from the XT to the XTi? The only difference is 2+ megapixel gain and is that really worth the extra money?

Not really looking for an upgrade...I am wanting a back-up camera:D

Yuo might want some faster glass if you do weddings. The nifty fifty has already been mentioned and is to cheap to not consider. I also say to look at a few more fast primes.

Yuo might want some faster glass if you do weddings. The nifty fifty has already been mentioned and is to cheap to not consider. I also say to look at a few more fast primes.

Thanks DSLR:D Is the 50mm really that great? And only around $80?

By the way nice ride and sig...here is mine. And, yes...I made the sig and that is my ride:D

the 50mm is superb :) Even better if you get the f1.4 instead, but it's more costly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back