Newb looking for C&C (4 Portraits)

JBWilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbwilsonphoto.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, looking for some C&C on a few shots I did of my friends. I resized them, hopefully not taking too much quality away. Looking to get into photography and want some feedback. Thanks!

jessshoreSMALL.jpg

kanayofieldSMALL.jpg

jesscanyonSMALL.jpg

kanayosittingSMALL.jpg

Welcome!

I like the first one the best, but IMO there's too much vignetting going on. I'd back that off (personally) just a bit. If you're into PP, maybe clone out the bra strap?

2 is ok, harsh sun though...maybe a bit OOF?

3 is alright, but I think the face is lacking a "pop." Others may say to use a fill flash...

4. I wish I could see her left (on our right) eye...the hair bugs me. I like the idea of having her sitting in the grass...but it does make her head look a bit out of proportion to me. Not sure what others may think.

Overall I like the images!

Welcome, C&C per req:

1. I'm assuming the vignette is something you've introduced in post; it doesn't work for me, but opionions may vary. A couple of considerations: (1) The background is rather distracting and inappropriate for a portrait, (2) the fill light is rather harsh and stronger than necessary, and (3) the pose and composition aren't ideal. I would consider shooting in portrait aspect (there's a reason it's called that) and avoid having the subject lean forward. As well, note the way the land behind her appears to 'grow' out of the back of her head.

2. Much nicer; the only two thoughts here are (1) It's a little too centered, and (2) it's at least a full stop over-exposed. Consider using reflectors and fill light to 'even' out the exposure.

3. IMO this image has a number of the same issues as #1; the background is busy and inappropriate and the pose is somewhat awkward. As well, as noted, the focus is somewhat soft.

4. I really like the pose and use of the grass here, unfortunately the light was not your friend. Once again gentle fill lights and reflectors to even things would have taken this from 'nice' to 'outstanding'.

You've got some good ideas and a good start here. Keep at it! Oh, and whatever application you're using to remove red-eye isn't doing a very good job; I'd suggest doing it manually.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Welcome, the colors are nice but I think the lighting can be better.

Alright... I'll bust out my CC guns on this one...

The first thing I notice in ALL of them is that the focus is not as sharp as it should be for portraits. They all seem out of focus at least a little bit...

Now for the details :)

1. The vignetting just looks bad. If you are new to photography, I would leave the Photoshop, etc. out of it and just work on the basics. This photo could use a crop on both sides I think. The lighting is also very direct and makes for some harsh hot spots on her skin... I think I would have liked this one more if there was either all water behind her, or all trees. Not half and half :/

2. This is my favorite of them all based on the colors alone. I love warm toned photos. However, it is again, out of focus... The out of focusness is probably my only complaint on this one... I like the composition, the setting, etc. Just not the OOF :/

3. This is probably the worst of them all. It seems very monotoned except for the one little bit of green coming in on the right side of the frame... This would do better with a more vertical crop than the square crop that you seem to have given it. I would like to see a little bit more below the shoulders on the model (not in a perverted way...) There is also way too much room above her head.

4. This one isn't too bad. I like the point of view on it. It looks like you used the on camera flash? That's my guess at least. I think it was a bit too harsh. This is one of those times that you probably would have benefited from having an off camera flash with a softbox on either side of the model instead of right in her face. Having it on the sides might also help make the shadow a little more pleasing to the eye. Right now it is kind of distracting..

So, now that I have written the longest CC post I have ever written, hopefully it is helpful and you learn from it and the others above :)

GL in your photography goals :)

maybe its just me but they all seem to have unnatural smiles. Still better then I could do lol. :)

Welcome, C&C per req:

1. I'm assuming the vignette is something you've introduced in post; it doesn't work for me, but opionions may vary. A couple of considerations: (1) The background is rather distracting and inappropriate for a portrait, (2) the fill light is rather harsh and stronger than necessary, and (3) the pose and composition aren't ideal. I would consider shooting in portrait aspect (there's a reason it's called that) and avoid having the subject lean forward. As well, note the way the land behind her appears to 'grow' out of the back of her head.

2. Much nicer; the only two thoughts here are (1) It's a little too centered, and (2) it's at least a full stop over-exposed. Consider using reflectors and fill light to 'even' out the exposure.

3. IMO this image has a number of the same issues as #1; the background is busy and inappropriate and the pose is somewhat awkward. As well, as noted, the focus is somewhat soft.

4. I really like the pose and use of the grass here, unfortunately the light was not your friend. Once again gentle fill lights and reflectors to even things would have taken this from 'nice' to 'outstanding'.

You've got some good ideas and a good start here. Keep at it! Oh, and whatever application you're using to remove red-eye isn't doing a very good job; I'd suggest doing it manually.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

+1 ^^^^^^

Thanks for the C&C! How do I make the focus sharper? I tend to do most of my shooting in portraiture mode in fine JPG on the highest file size. Should I move to a RAW format?

Changing the file type shouldn't affect the focus at all.

I also seem to have issues with soft focus. I'm still learning. My next step is to remove the UV filter from my lens. I was using it as protection for the glass... But I suspect it to be causing some softness. (Its a cheap filter)

Thanks for the C&C! How do I make the focus sharper? I tend to do most of my shooting in portraiture mode in fine JPG on the highest file size. Should I move to a RAW format?

Remember that .jpg is a lossy format, so if you're going to be doing any significant post-processing you're going to lose information. I would suggest shooting RAW+JPG. The format has nothing to do with your focus however.

Factors effecting focus: (1) The single most common focus issue is NOT focusing on the intended point. Check your camera's manual and ensure you know how to control the active focusing point(s). Make sure that the active focusing point(s) are on the parts of the scene you want in focus (ie: in a portrait, make sure the focusing point is on the eyes and not the wall behind the subject's head). (2) "Things" on lenses - filters, especially cheap ones can have a HUGE impact on IQ. Take 'em off unless you NEED them! (3) Aperture: Using a lens wide open or nearly so (smallest f#s) may contribute to a soft image - even the best lenses aren't as sharp at their largest aperture as they stopped down part-way.

Also make sure that you're using a shutter-speed appropriate to what you're doing. If you've got a 400mm lens on your camera, a shutter speed of 1/60 is probably not going to cut it, likewise, if your subject is a fast-moving car, you're going to need to be north of 1/1000 of a second if you want to completely freeze all motion.

Factors effecting focus: (1) The single most common focus issue is NOT focusing on the intended point. Check your camera's manual and ensure you know how to control the active focusing point(s). Make sure that the active focusing point(s) are on the parts of the scene you want in focus (ie: in a portrait, make sure the focusing point is on the eyes and not the wall behind the subject's head). (2) "Things" on lenses - filters, especially cheap ones can have a HUGE impact on IQ. Take 'em off unless you NEED them! (3) Aperture: Using a lens wide open or nearly so (smallest f#s) may contribute to a soft image - even the best lenses aren't as sharp at their largest aperture as they stopped down part-way.

Also make sure that you're using a shutter-speed appropriate to what you're doing. If you've got a 400mm lens on your camera, a shutter speed of 1/60 is probably not going to cut it, likewise, if your subject is a fast-moving car, you're going to need to be north of 1/1000 of a second if you want to completely freeze all motion.

Thats good info. Thanks for sharing. :)

Remember that .jpg is a lossy format, so if you're going to be doing any significant post-processing you're going to lose information. I would suggest shooting RAW+JPG. The format has nothing to do with your focus however.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the focal point is what I was practicing during these sessions. I set the focal point to Single Auto Focus and chose a point that would focus on the eyes - as had read for portraits. I hope in turn it didn't put the rest of the shot out of focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back