Newb question on filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by MisplacedAngler, Feb 2, 2010.

1. MisplacedAngler

MisplacedAngler TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like to hike and I'm most interested in outdoor photography. Landscapes mostly and some wildlife/nature/flower type stuff. I've been reading up on polarizing, warming, ND, and UV filters. From what I gather, I buy a 52mm filter because my lens is 52mm (Nikon D5000 w/ 18-55m kit lens). The filters are supposed to be screw on. However, when I look at the end of my lens, I don't see any type of thread or anything for the filter to screw onto. Can someone explain how this works? I don't want to order the wrong filters. Any other filter advice is welcome as well.

2. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it should, the threads are on the inside of the outer lip, look again

3. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    also, if you plan on upgrading lenses in the future dont get a real expensive filter in 52mm, i believe a cheaper filter will work just fine with the cheaper lens. or get a 62-72mm decent filter and get a stepdown ring, so when you upgrade you can still use the filter

4. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The current Nikon AF 18-55mm VR lens should have allow 52mm screw-on filters based on the specs.

5. MisplacedAngler

MisplacedAngler TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

In all my brillance, I didn't look at the inside of the lip. For some reason, I was expecting it on the outside and never even thought to look at the inside. Thanks for the help.