Newb to new hasselblad.

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by nrois02, Nov 23, 2009.

1. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So i recently got a hasselblad 500c. the thing is amazing but when i got it the guy gave me expired film, so ive been just using that to understand loading and what not. every time i go to get it developed there is either nothing on a roll or one or two negatives that look like theirs two photos in one... kinda but not. there are no distinct photos. any help on this would be great. im going to be getting new film and trying that but i want to check in with people that know a lot more about medium format than i do. are my times off and thats whats causing me to get nothing? not to sure on how 120 film works. let me know! thanks!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The Hasselblad 500 series has a long history of problems with the film magazines malfunctioning; overlapping frames are a huge, well-known problem issue with Hasselblads of the 500C vintage; many 500C's,made before the C/M switch, are fairly old now, and the back you have no doubt needs servicing. The back issues and the shutter cocking/lens mounting issues earned the camera the nickname Hassle-blad among a certain segment that did not deify the camera. It's like any complicated, sophisticated, intricate mechanical device from the days of yore--it demands periodic tune-ups and regular maintaining.

A Hasselblad 500C might be made in 1957 or 1958--so it could be 50 years old,or older.

Check this thread from 2001
    HASSELBLAD: Overlap frames with A-12 Magazine. - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

3. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    NOOOOOOO!!!!! damn. well thanks a lot Derrel! great advice. guess im going to have to take it to get serviced! i appreciate the quick response and the helpful advice!

4. jbylake

jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :confused: OUCH!!! Man, sometimes the truth really, really, sucks....Good luck in getting 'er fixed, all the best to you!

J.:(

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

You can date the manufacture of your Hasselblad body and back using the following serial number code. The two letters that appear at the beginning of the serial number correspond with the number below... Victor Hasselblad pictures.

V H P I C T U R E S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

6. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

As much as I love vintage European cameras, I've found that vintage
    Japanese cameras are often more reliable in their old age ...

... except for their meters and light seals, of course.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    christie, the serial # is cr35094 so that means it made in 58 right? and the back is te146375 so its made in 69?

8. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yes. That would be right.

-Pete

9. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks pete just wanted to make sure.

10. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so come to find out the back needs to be maintained but the real problem was the spring inside the lens. 215 bucks later its now finally up and running! soon to have pics up!

11. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    While many of these issues are the hardwares fault, many are actually the fault of the squishyware (user's brain). The two major user caused faults result from improper loading and mixing the inserts and shells on the backs.

A 1958 Blad would have had a "12" back for 120 rather than the newer "A12". The loading procedure for each is quite different. The "12" requires you to wind untill the #1 appears in the window (flip down the film reminder dial on the center of the back) and then turn the wind tabs in the reverse direction to reset the frame counter to #1. Errors in loading can result in some mis-spacing.

The "A12" is more automatic, hence the "A". You load and wind the film to align the arrow with a red mark before putting the insert into the shell. You now wind until it automatically stops and frame 1.

With either back, a totally blank roll is usually the result of loading the film the wrong side out, placing the paper leader between the film and the lens. With either back the printed side of the paper faces the pressure plate and the black side faces out while loading. Also, with a "12" back you would see the film appear in the window rather than the printed leader with the #1 when advancing to the first frame if you load.

If you look carefully, the insert and shell of the back both have serial numbers. They should match. Generally mismatches result in light leaks rather than spacing problems.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  12. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    good info^