Newb to new hasselblad.

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i recently got a hasselblad 500c. the thing is amazing but when i got it the guy gave me expired film, so ive been just using that to understand loading and what not. every time i go to get it developed there is either nothing on a roll or one or two negatives that look like theirs two photos in one... kinda but not. there are no distinct photos. any help on this would be great. im going to be getting new film and trying that but i want to check in with people that know a lot more about medium format than i do. are my times off and thats whats causing me to get nothing? not to sure on how 120 film works. let me know! thanks!

The Hasselblad 500 series has a long history of problems with the film magazines malfunctioning; overlapping frames are a huge, well-known problem issue with Hasselblads of the 500C vintage; many 500C's,made before the C/M switch, are fairly old now, and the back you have no doubt needs servicing. The back issues and the shutter cocking/lens mounting issues earned the camera the nickname Hassle-blad among a certain segment that did not deify the camera. It's like any complicated, sophisticated, intricate mechanical device from the days of yore--it demands periodic tune-ups and regular maintaining.

A Hasselblad 500C might be made in 1957 or 1958--so it could be 50 years old,or older.

Check this thread from 2001
HASSELBLAD: Overlap frames with A-12 Magazine. - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

NOOOOOOO!!!!! damn. well thanks a lot Derrel! great advice. guess im going to have to take it to get serviced! i appreciate the quick response and the helpful advice!

The Hasselblad 500 series has a long history of problems with the film magazines malfunctioning; overlapping frames are a huge, well-known problem issue with Hasselblads of the 500C vintage; many 500C's,made before the C/M switch, are fairly old now, and the back you have no doubt needs servicing. The back issues and the shutter cocking/lens mounting issues earned the camera the nickname Hassle-blad among a certain segment that did not deify the camera. It's like any complicated, sophisticated, intricate mechanical device from the days of yore--it demands periodic tune-ups and regular maintaining.

A Hasselblad 500C might be made in 1957 or 1958--so it could be 50 years old,or older.

:confused: OUCH!!! Man, sometimes the truth really, really, sucks....Good luck in getting 'er fixed, all the best to you!

J.:(

You can date the manufacture of your Hasselblad body and back using the following serial number code. The two letters that appear at the beginning of the serial number correspond with the number below... Victor Hasselblad pictures.

V H P I C T U R E S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

As much as I love vintage European cameras, I've found that vintage
Japanese cameras are often more reliable in their old age ...

... except for their meters and light seals, of course.

Last edited:
christie, the serial # is cr35094 so that means it made in 58 right? and the back is te146375 so its made in 69?

thanks pete just wanted to make sure.

so come to find out the back needs to be maintained but the real problem was the spring inside the lens. 215 bucks later its now finally up and running! soon to have pics up!

The Hasselblad 500 series has a long history of problems with the film magazines malfunctioning; overlapping frames are a huge, well-known problem issue with Hasselblads of the 500C vintage...

While many of these issues are the hardwares fault, many are actually the fault of the squishyware (user's brain). The two major user caused faults result from improper loading and mixing the inserts and shells on the backs.

A 1958 Blad would have had a "12" back for 120 rather than the newer "A12". The loading procedure for each is quite different. The "12" requires you to wind untill the #1 appears in the window (flip down the film reminder dial on the center of the back) and then turn the wind tabs in the reverse direction to reset the frame counter to #1. Errors in loading can result in some mis-spacing.

The "A12" is more automatic, hence the "A". You load and wind the film to align the arrow with a red mark before putting the insert into the shell. You now wind until it automatically stops and frame 1.

With either back, a totally blank roll is usually the result of loading the film the wrong side out, placing the paper leader between the film and the lens. With either back the printed side of the paper faces the pressure plate and the black side faces out while loading. Also, with a "12" back you would see the film appear in the window rather than the printed leader with the #1 when advancing to the first frame if you load.

If you look carefully, the insert and shell of the back both have serial numbers. They should match. Generally mismatches result in light leaks rather than spacing problems.

Last edited:

That's a bit like saying Chevy (or insert your own favorite brand here) has a known problem with engines blowing up if you never change the oil or check to see if it has any.

Precision photographic equipment requires regular service, whether it's Japanese, German, Swedish or American. Without regular service, it's a crap shoot whether it will work reliably or non (much like a car) I have used both RB67 and Hasselblads for well over two decades and can count the number of times that I had a failure that wasn't due to lack of maintenance on one hand. (exactly once, and it was an inexpensive repair) I know that in this day and age of disposable everything we assume that everything should work without any service, but it's just not so.

Even my Sinars need a tune up every few years.

yeah i still need to get my back serviced and probably the body too, but damn its a lot of money for being a broke college student! lol.

That's a bit like saying Chevy (or insert your own favorite brand here) has a known problem with engines blowing up if you never change the oil or check to see if it has any.

Precision photographic equipment requires regular service, whether it's Japanese, German, Swedish or American. Without regular service, it's a crap shoot whether it will work reliably or non (much like a car) I have used both RB67 and Hasselblads for well over two decades and can count the number of times that I had a failure that wasn't due to lack of maintenance on one hand. (exactly once, and it was an inexpensive repair) I know that in this day and age of disposable everything we assume that everything should work without any service, but it's just not so.

Even my Sinars need a tune up every few years.

Do you have problems with reading comprehension??? It would seem so. Why not RE-READ MY statement, which concludes with ,"It's like any complicated, sophisticated, intricate mechanical device from the days of yore--it demands periodic tune-ups and regular maintaining." Your post seems like you didn't even read what was said, but instead jumped to the defense of a 50+ year old mechanical design that, as I wrote "demands
periodic tune-ups and regular maintaining." Your self-serving reply was kind of annoying to me.

Most reactions

Back