Newbi, Few pics with D300

KCH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm here to learn about photography and get as much information as possible. I took my first few shots yesterday with my Nikon D300. I'm into shooting cars and looking for a tad bit more dramatic shots but not into HDR. I'm okay with photoshop and learning to use lightroom 2. Just really looking for pointers on how to make the clouds more dramatic, play with the colors and make the photos as clear as possible. I have been shooting in manual because also still learning how to use the camera. Here are my first few shots played with in photoshop and light room. Let me know what you think or what I can do to make them look better. Thank you all!
3007355767_1e30d56c66_o.jpg

3007355725_6aa9ddc904_o.jpg

3008194202_11654670c1_o.jpg

These where taken very late in the day. I had about 35 minutes of sun light left.

Overall I like the pictures, love the car. The only thing that bothered me was I could see the blurred grass in front of the car. Once I spotted it, I kept looking at it. Not that big of a deal, and would've been hard to spot if not for my monitor.

Nice job.

Personally, I think the backgrounds on all 3 photos are distracting with the vertical elements in the photos. (the 2nd one is better than the 1st and the 3rd)

BTW, nice car!!

what kinda lens are you using?

Very well done! I'm a little bit jealous. Your car?

Thanks guys, My friends car. Im using a nikon af nikkor 85mm. It was last minute location and it was getting really dark. Thank you and if there is any other things you guys might think will make them look better let me know

I like them! very nice shots!

nice pics, other than the backgrounds... when doing car photos, you should make sure there are not trees or telephone poles behind it, because it makes it look like its growing out of the car...

also #1 has grass or something in front of it... and i would turn the wheels just a little bit more when doing those shots... you want like a 35-45 degree angle for the wheels to make them stand out better.

This pic is totally untouched by PS or LR. I think it came out clean

3008447376_a3da8fd5ba_b.jpg

I cut it off on purpose because with the lens I was using couldnt do a close up of the wheels so I cut it off to get a closer shot of the wheels.

From the original post, the depth of field is too shallow in the second shot IMO. The back of the car is sharp but not the front. I think the whole car should be in focus. As other suggested, backgrounds and out of focus grass in the foreground are distracting.

From the original post, the depth of field is too shallow in the second shot IMO. The back of the car is sharp but not the front. I think the whole car should be in focus. As other suggested, backgrounds and out of focus grass in the foreground are distracting.

I was thinking the same thing about the DOP. The first two pictures have the way nicely in focus, the the 2nd is out of focus in the back of the picture (aka the front of the car).

the third one in your original set is my fave, although a slightly tigher crop on the right hand side might be needed.

Most reactions

Back