Newbie (and wanna-be Macro-photographer) from Malta

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Cristoforo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Cristoforo

Cristoforo TPF Noob!

Hello!

I love macro photography and have been taking macro shots with prosumer cams such as the Fuji Finepix S5700.

However, I believe it's time for me to move to an SLR cam. My top preference is currently the Canon 550D. Of course I have no real idea of what I am doing so maybe someone will give me a hint or two! But my main dilemma is:

What's the best value for money 1:1 macro lens for this kind of SLR that I can buy?

Would appreciate a lot your help :)

2. N E Williams

N E Williams TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum, I am a newbie myself on here and a beginner in photography, also am keen to get into macro photography, though I am a Nikon user, I have the Nikon D3000 and am looking at getting a macro lens in the Sigma range. I am no expert but have a look at these two:

Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens - Canon Fit

Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens - Canon Fit

3. Cristoforo

Cristoforo TPF Noob!

Thanks NE Williams :)

How do Sigma lenses compare to Canon ones in terms of sharpness? I have been browsing a bit around Flickr and my impression is that sharpness-wise, the Sigma ones underperform.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the site Cristoforo - Glad to see another macro newbie to join the ranks!

So I don't end up repeating myself have a read of this thread here for my thoughts on macro lenses and such: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/welcomes-introductions/217912-my-introduction-question.html

As for sharpness there is nothing wrong with a sigma lens - flickr is deceptive because you've so many different users and setups that working out the quality of something is hard