Newbie B&W

Kim Cook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm totally new to this whole photography thing but this is my favorite black and white I took of my daughter in an alley in downtown Charleston. Like I said... I'm new. Your guys' pics out beat this one for sure.

Attachments

• bwDSC_0189 copy.jpg
    bwDSC_0189 copy.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 120
It's a cute shot, but there are a couple of areas where It could be improved. The image leans down to the right; leveling would immediately make it a stronger image, and you've created a bit of a compositional faux-pas in that you have very strong leading lines in the form of the wals and the brick path which take your eye right through the foreground to the bright area in the centre background. Remember that the eye is naturally attracted to bright over dark, and naturally follows linear elements, therefore what will happen is the viewer skips right over your daughter and looks at the bright, empty area in background.

I would level the image and crop more tightly around your daughter; just above her head.

Just my $00.02 - YMMV
~John

Thanks, I'm not professional that's for sure. Those are great tips! Thank you!

I like it, it has a nice feel to it but I agree with tirediron in that the lines unfortunately lead your eyes away from your daughter so assuming she is to be the main focal point it would need cropping or shot in a different way......but it does have a nice look and feel to it that aside!

It's a good start for sure. I agree with what has been said above me. I would also say that it does appear that you were down on one knee, but consider getting even lower to compose the shot.

So like this more? And next time get down at her level exactly?

Attachments

• bwDSC_0189 copy2.jpg
    bwDSC_0189 copy2.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 110
So like this more? And next time get down at her level exactly?

When using the original, yes, much improved as it takes away the lines that pull your eyes away so now the focus is completely on your daughter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back