Newbie Canon Lens question

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting back into photography and going digital. I am looking into the Canon Rebel Xti. I noticed they have an FD lens adapter which I have seen on ebay. My question is, has anyone used these and if so, do you lose any quality or features aside from the autofocus. I have some old FD lenses that are in great shape and I would like to try to make these work so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't have any first hand experience with such adapters, but here is a link with some useful information, which describes the problems associated with using FD lenses on an EOS camera. Hope that helps.

I am getting back into photography and going digital. I am looking into the Canon Rebel Xti. I noticed they have an FD lens adapter which I have seen on ebay. My question is, has anyone used these and if so, do you lose any quality or features aside from the autofocus. I have some old FD lenses that are in great shape and I would like to try to make these work so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Look at a 30D too. Used even. Most people take good care of their cameras and if you're already experienced with photography, it's a much better camera features wise.

Welcome to the forum.

There are two types of FD to EOS adaptors. The first is just basically a mounting ring with no glass. The benefit of these is that there is no additional glass, so the image quality of the lens is preserved. The bad news is that you loose infinity focus.

The other type, has a glass lens element which corrects for the extra distance that the lens is away from the camera...so you don't loose infinity focus. However, most of these adaptors aren't top quality and they affect the image quality enough to make them undesirable.

It should be said that there are a few Canon made adaptors out there. There were made for pro photographers who were put out when Canon switched from FD to EF (EOS) systems. They were never really sold to the public, so they are rare. They can be found (on E-bay etc) but they are expensive.

To make a long story short, unless you have really, really good FD glass....it's probably not worth the hassle to use them on an EOS camera.

Thanks for all the info guys. As it turns out, I am looking to use the one FD lens I have for Macro photography which will work fine will the non-optic adaptor since infinity focus does not matter... Again thanks for the input

Most reactions

Back