Newbie/ Car pics

illunatic54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all i have been researching for a couple months now and finally bought my first DSLR camera. I have a Rebel XTi with the kit lense and i also bought the 50mm F1.8 lense. My question is: I am going to a car show next weekend and i wanted to know what woud be a good lense to use for the car show; be it one of the lenses i currently have or another lense i could go out and get without breaking the bank right away... thnx and advance for the tips:smileys:

Both should do you fine, epsecially the 50MM since you're just shooting cars. Make sure you close that AP up enough so that you're getting the entire car in focus though.

Have fun.

i wasnt sure because i had just received my camera yesterday...and i took a couple sample pics wit the 50 mm and i had to stand a good bit away from a car to get the whole car in the photo

Thats because the 50MM isn't a wide-angle lens, so yes, you're going to have to step back to get the full shot of the car if thats your goal.

The kit lens should suffice if you want a wider shot on that.

i wasnt sure because i had just received my camera yesterday...and i took a couple sample pics wit the 50 mm and i had to stand a good bit away from a car to get the whole car in the photo

The 50 is an excellent basic lens. And I mean basic as one you'll need, use and keep for a long time.

With the less that full size sensor, you have the field of view of an 80mm lens. Pretty much into the portrait area. To get cars in cramped quarters, where you can step back far enough, you'll need a wide angle.

17mm or 19mm is going to be what you want, and the zooms will give you a chance to compose in camera.

Good Luck, have fun!

Most reactions

Back