newbie FAQ

tranceplant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey everyone, I am new to this forum and its officaly my first post :-D woohoo

Ok i will start photography school next year, which is awesome, i am not a pro tho very far from that. I have a budget from 500 to 1000$ - i would like to buy a 35 mm slr camera and a lens to practice and play around before i actualy start! I really was hoping someone could help me out! I was hoping to take great B&W pics!

I was thinking of buying a used nikon f80 or the canon elan - is that a good choice? or should i buy new or another camera would better to start!

Also maybe someone can help me out for the lens choice because i am totally clueless... I know i like to do close ups (you know a detailed object and a blurry background). I will be mostly be taken pictures in the city and other stuff like that. I am not into landscape and wide fields yet, but ill give it a try when i get the chance!

OHH another quick questions :) is it better to put a little bit more money into a body camera and less for the lens or it is better to buy a good lens and buy an average camera?thx

Antoine

I am not a pro or anything. But personally, I would buy as much body as I can. You can alway upgrade lenses in the future.

Hello and welcome aboard.

Both are nice cameras. I shoot Nikon, but alot of Canon fans around. Try them out see which feels good to you.

Go with a nice 50mm. something in the 1.4 f-stop range. You can get an extension tube for close-up work.

And put the money into the lenses. You can always upgrade the body.

Though a good body will have more features to play with, ultimately the lens makes (or breaks) the image. If the glass isn't good, the final image won't be either.

Both the cameras you mention are up to the task. I'd also look around Ebay or pawn shops for some good deals on older manual cameras. There's a good chance that your instructor is going to want you to shoot mainly in manual mode anyway.

What ever you buy, plan to spend a little more on the lens(es). Don't buy just because its in your price range. Check reviews and see what everyone has to say.

I would probably start with a 50mm (f/1.8 is fairly standard...and fairly inexpensive for a decent one too). That will allow you to get used to using the camera while giving you lots of room for day and night shots.

Another thing to think about is if you plan on upgrading to a newer camera anytime soon. An example being, if you have a limited budget and want to get into photography, but would like to get a digital SLR soon. Then I would say stay with a new 35mm SLR so you can still use the lenses when you upgrade. When i began I bought an Old school Canon FT QL. It was 300 for 4 perfect lenses and a pristine body. That was so cheap that I decided to go with it. It is hard to get a decent lens for that amount let a lone a whole setup. However, when I make the transition over to a DSLR this may I will not be able to use my current lenses. Be aware that film and developing gets really spendy fast when your learning. I figured I spend about 50-100 dollars a month no problem on film and developing. This is the main reason why I am switching over to a DSLR.

Either Canon or Nikon would be a great choice, the Canon EOS Elan cameras are pretty good. They are a step up from the entry level EOS Rebel type of cameras.

However, the camera body is really just a box to hold the film. The lens is what is important. I would also suggest a 50mm F1.8 It's cheap but fast and sharp. You can decide on other lenses after playing with the 50mm for a while. Starting with a prime (non-zoom) lens is also helpful in developing your feel for perspective and composition. It forces you to move around and think rather than just standing in one spot zooming.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back