Newbie Filter Question

Jim Stafford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a new Sigma 120 - 400 to be used for wildlife. What filter do I want to put on the end to protect it and how much should I expect to pay? The store I purchased the lens from had only (1) 77mm filter, a cheap($35) UV filter. The guy didn't want to sell it to me but I wanted something on it right from the start.

Are you just want to use the filter as a lens protection? What about the hood?

What about the hood? Sure I can use the hood, most of the time I am praying for enough light not worried about stray light so I have not been using a hood much. Is that thinking wrong? When it comes to filters there are many choices, UV, Polarisers, Circular and straight, etc , etc. Remember, I'm a newbie, what do I need to be doing, why and how much should I expect to pay.

Take a look at this.

Photographic filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are not sure what those filters are for, the above link should give you a good idea.

Some people do not like to have a filter in front of their lens especially if the filter are low cost one. It's because it may create problem such as lens flares.

Of course, neutral density filter and circular polariser are nice to have. As for the UV filter, most of the time, it will not do much except offer some protection on the front lens element.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back