Newbie, Here I go...composition feedback

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ShmoozyQ, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ShmoozyQ

ShmoozyQ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone. I've been lurking for quite some time and decided it's time to come out of the woodwork and get some feedback.

I photographed this wagon wheel late in the day. I was trying to get a more interesting perspective and composition on it, but I'm not sure if I got it or not. My focus was a bit off. These are SOOC with no PP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. And a full scene snapshot for more of an idea of what I was working around. Feedback for different angles I could have used is always appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thoughts and suggestions? Edits are OK.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Of the three, the first is the one I prefer. I would like to see it opened up a bit however, as it's cropped too tightly IMO. I would also suggest trying longer glass and a larger aperture (smaller f#) if possible, to reduce the sharpness of focus on the wire fencing behind the wheel. This could also be removed in post, which improve the image greatly.

From a technical standpoint, why a 1/2000 shutter-speed and ISO 400? You could have reduced to ISO 200 and 1/1000/sec would still have been more than fast enough.

Just my $00.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.

~John

3. ShmoozyQ

ShmoozyQ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the suggestions!

My lens is the d90 kit 18-105, and for this shot it was as far out and as wide as I could get it. I'll try to soften up the background fence a bit as you've mentioned and see how I do.

I was messing around with ISO settings previously in a darker setting and left it at 400 - thanks for the reminder to keep an eye on that.

Perhaps I'll revisit the site and work at it a bit more. Thanks again!