Newbie here with some questions...

Justin182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, my name is justin, and i live in aberdeen, UK.. just recently got into this whole photography thing, and wondered if i could ask you lot some questions..?

first of all, i own a sony dsc-p200 which was just within my budget, and i am quite chuffed with it! :) here are a few photos i have taken and as you can see, i am quite into my cars...

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00226-1.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

thing that is annoying me is the car seems to look stationary even though it was moving at 70mph, so what am i doing wrong? shutter speeds i take it? have a motorsport show this weekend, and i am hoping to get some nice pictures!

Nice forum by the way, sure i will have plenty of questions!

hey
In to my cars as well more the hot rods and dragracing. dunno which on is serposed to be moving but the problem will be that your shutter speed is too fast. For topfuel i shoot at 1/250th of a second and then reduce the shutter speed for how slow the car is moving

this was shot at 1/200th of a second
topolinio.jpg

note how the wheel and background are blurred but the car is still in focus. Along with shutter speed you need to perfect panning.

picture 4 looks a bit under exposed (dark) would need a longer appiture of a flash
do you have any photo editting software as you could lighten it up a bit

Hope this helps a bit

any probelms just email me

The car appears stationary if you use a fast shutter speed. Try slowing the shutter speed down, and use a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) to compensate for the increased exposure. If you slow the shutter speed too much though, you may need a tripod. Nice cars.

Haha, hotshot beat me to it. Panning is also an excellent technique for showing something in motion, if you don't want the actual subject to be blurred.

panning is a fine art to perfect tho sounds easyer than it is

Just out of intrest what show you going to ??

thanks for your help guys.. my parents live out in alford and there is always car shows on sundays, think it is some kind of spring, with cars going around the little track, so goin to go along for some practice..

koo have fun and dont forget to post images. i dont know why you carnt see the images :S

Most reactions

New Topics

Back