newbie here would love cc and to learn more!

ladybug31087

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I have just recently gotten into photography (within the last two years). I have been trying really hard to learn all I can about the essentials, light, composition, exposure, etc...I am really looking forward to getting some feedback on my work. I do some *light* postprocessing in photoshop which normally only consists of cropping and color correction (if necessary).
I guess I will just go ahead and throw out some of my more recent stuff- have to start somewhere huh? The pictures below are of a friend of mine. I am doing maternity portraits for her. She is not quite as far along as most maternity portraits that you see but we were both anxious to take some pictures.
5-8.jpg
3-7.jpg

16-3.jpg

I realy hope she is pregnant an her belly isn't that big. lol. I like #1. Not sure why she is tip toeing though. I like #3 as well. I like her pose. I'm also not sure what it is about all the shot, they seem like they could do with more contrast or someting, not realy sure. Maybe someone else could figure it out.

I'd love to do an edit on the third with your permission.

her zipper is down, could use some more contrast for me

I hate to be the one to say it, but I am thrown off by the poses and the fact that she is pregnant.....When I think of maternity shots, I don't imagine this. I feel like this a modeling shoot and I don't think the posing matches the occasion. Granted, its always good to be different, but IMHO I feel like maternity shots tend to come out better when taken in a traditional way. Cute girl though! The second photo is waaaaaaay too model-ish. And I agree about contrast.....if she's wearing white and is on a white background, you need more contrast...even have her angle a little more one way because she doesn't look pregnant to me in the 3rd one.....which is my fave by the way. I like the unzipped pants. Its real. I'm not pregnant and I wear my pants like that all the time.

Good start though!

Hope that wasn't too harsh! =)

I hate to be the one to say it, but I am thrown off by the poses and the fact that she is pregnant.....When I think of maternity shots, I don't imagine this. I feel like this a modeling shoot and I don't think the posing matches the occasion.
AGREED!!!

In other words, pregnant chicks aren't sexy. They're future moms. So go with more wholesome, traditional poses, and zip up the jeans...lol.

I totally agree that they are not 'traditional' maternity portraits, but she is not really quite to the point that doing only "hold the belly look into the light, hold the belly look down and smile, hands on the belly" shots really felt completely right. We did do a few like that, but at only 4 months it just felt early to do full on 'maternity' shots. And i like the jeans zipped down(she can't zip them by the way ;)) from the feedback i'm getting i'm assuming its a split audience on that. About the contrast, I do agree, they are not high contrast pictures. I tried to do very flat lighting for for this...she wanted pictures that felt clean, fresh and fun and to me that was just the easiest way to achieve it. Jamie R. go ahead if you'd like. I will be interested to see what you do with it. I do disagree with the statement that pregnant chicks aren't sexy...I don't think its fair to say 'your a mom now so all your sex appeal is totally gone' and i definately know her husband would disagree with that statement!

I do disagree with the statement that pregnant chicks aren't sexy...I don't think its fair to say 'your a mom now so all your sex appeal is totally gone' and i definately know her husband would disagree with that statement!

Of course her husband will... :)

My point was that few guys (other than the girl's husband) will find a pregnant chick sexy. Its an evolution thing. These photos aren't for people other than the family, though. So the family will like it, but people like us will have no emotional attachment and think, "Why is this pregnant chick trying to look all sexy?" Its like having a mom pose sexy while her kid is in the photo or something. lol.

But I'm also only 25 so maybe its a maturity thing. I just know that many guys will think sexy while pregnant seems... weird or wrong. It wasn't my intent to offend or anything, just seeing it how I see it.

I do disagree with the statement that pregnant chicks aren't sexy...I don't think its fair to say 'your a mom now so all your sex appeal is totally gone' and i definately know her husband would disagree with that statement!

Of course her husband will... :)

My point was that few guys (other than the girl's husband) will find a pregnant chick sexy. Its an evolution thing. These photos aren't for people other than the family, though. So the family will like it, but people like us will have no emotional attachment and think, "Why is this pregnant chick trying to look all sexy?" Its like having a mom pose sexy while her kid is in the photo or something. lol.

But I'm also only 25 so maybe its a maturity thing. I just know that many guys will think sexy while pregnant seems... weird or wrong. It wasn't my intent to offend or anything, just seeing it how I see it.

The issue isn't whether you find the subject sexy or not. However, these pictures are good as modeling pictures, and very different from traditional maternity pictures. My assumption is that you were trying to achieve more of a maternity feel to them since you stated she was pregnant, but I think the poses were a bit much and nearly a distraction. Maybe in a few months she'll be able to pose in a more traditional "maternity" sense.. but until then you may stick to having her pose more as a traditional model.

Just my 2 cents.

okay then....for the traditionalists...try these on for size...same shoot...different feel i think...probably will seem more 'maternity' to most people. I totally respect that not everyone feels the same way about pregnant women as i do :blushing:. I do agree that the pose with her arm up does not say 'maternity' in any way whatsoever.
14-5.jpg

20-2.jpg

19-2.jpg

26-1.jpg

25-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back