Newbie here!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CAG76, Dec 27, 2008.

1. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello Everyone,

A little about me... Years ago I bought a Canon Powershot G5, and took many many pictures with that thing. I have not taken any photography classes, but I have quite an eye for things and took many pictures with that little camera that I thought were decent. Since then I really could not turn the excitement off I wore it out until the card door broke and then bought a Powershot G9. Love the camera, haven't had it even a year yet, but after Thanksgiving Roberts Imaging had a great sail going on and with my bosses hefty bonus, I used a small percentage of it to buy a Canon EOS Rebel XSi. I know this is entry level but I just love it! I bought it with the 18-55mm lens kit (the only kit it comes in). I also have the EF 70-300mm IS USM lens. So far I love this lens!

Is there anyone else who has one of these cameras who can give me any info about it? Anything to look out for? Does anyone have any images they took with this camera? Any favorite lenses with it?

Any feedback would be great! Any photography tips would be great.

I am also new to this forum and will soon post some photos I have taken.

Christopher

2. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First off, welcome. We look forward to seeing some pictures. I am an avid Canon user. While I have L series glass, I am sensitive to the fact not all can make that choice. So, I have done research to help those without.

First, the 18-55mm kit lens it terrible. I understand why you have it, but replace it. These links will take you to Calumet Photo. Canon makes a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens for $90. This would be a great portrait lens. This combined with the Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for $420 you will dramatically take your pictures to a new level without spending thousands.

The 50mm is a fast lens (has a large aperture - 1.8) and the 28-135 features technology found on far more expensive lenses. Like for example the USM (ultra sonic motor) and better glass elements.

-Nick

3. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow! Thanks Nick! I will look at this. I can't believe such an awesome lens for only $90.00! Thats great! I will save a bit and look into the EF 28-135mm. I love these IS lenses. They do seem to work great! I do know that kit lens is a cheapy.

I feel like I am in for a real surprise in trying these lenses out.

What do you think about the EF 70-300mm IS USM lens. I got it for about $540. I, right now, am happy with it, but I there what I believe are some flaws with this lens. Sometimes it seems sharp and other times it does not. I am talking about at full 300mm zoom. It could be my focus too. I find it sometimes hard to tell if it is in good focus or not, then when I open the pictures up on my computer it is still not in full focus.

Christopher

4. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Christopher,

You are right about the 70-300mm. When you get a lens that is not professional optics that try’s to span huge focal lengths, you usually will sacrifice on both ends, the 70mm and the 300mm. They tend to be sharpest in the middle.

This is one of the reasons for my suggestion of the 28-135mm. It is sharp throughout. No, it does not have the distance of the 300mm lens, but it will not let you down.

Just a thought. Take some pictures of something with high contrast using AF (auto focus). Let's say you have a sheet of black paper and a sheet of white paper taped together. Shoot it and see. You may have the diopter on your viewfinder set to the factory default and when you look through the lens you see something out of focus and feel the need to adjust.

If you find the AF is working and you still "see" the papers out of focus through the view finder, adjust the diopter using the spin wheel next to the view finder to correct for your personal eyesight.

Most likely though, you have the camera set to focus on all focusing points. Don't do this. Set the focus point to the center, press the shutter button half-way to focus, then recompose the shot. When shooting people, put that middle square in the subject's(s') eyes.

Hope this helps.

-Nick

5. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That focusing tip does help. I will try this! I do have the camera set to focus on all points in stead of just the center. I will change it and try what you said about adjusting the diopter. I forget you can do that, but usually I have always left it a lone assuming that factory settings were fine. This will help! Thanks again!

I would eventually like to get into a bigger camera but I am going to squeeze what I can out of this XSi. I spent a deal of money on it so I will enjoy what I've got. I do want to get more into sport photography though. I know this is certainly not a really good camera for it, but I believe it can create a few wonders in that area.

I know you said you are an L series guy, which is what I am saving up to get my first L series lens. I know a Canon photographer can't go wrong with that! I am wanting to get an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM before all the races start for the summer.

Christopher

6. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well the way I look at it is most of the time you have to spend more money if you want to get a awesome quality image. I trust you on this. This has a much higher aperture. The lens I was looking at was only f/4.5-5.6 while this one is f/2.8 which is good! I am looking for good crisp images so I trust this choice!

Now I am going to figure out how to post photographs.

8. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is a squirrel I took in the back yard using my 70-300mm IS USM lens at max 300mm. It's a bit blurry or out of focus, but I think a great image. So if I use an L series lens I am probably looking at something a lot better right?

Christopher

Attached Files:

9. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hello Nick. If you want to see more photos I took, check the General Gallery. I posted some photos in some messages there.

10. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Remember, the 70-200 f/2.8 II lens is a better lens not just because it is faster, but it has a constant aperture throughout the whole focal length. Also note when using the 2x Teleconverter as I recommend it only reduces the maximum aperture to 5.6 throughout the whole focal length.

Besides, this is the workhorse. Every Canon photographer will have this lens or its' cheaper brothers. This is by far the best lens in your arsenal.

-Nick

P.S. And I did look at your pictures and like what I see so far. Post three and aske for C&C in the forum. Don't be mad if people rip them apart. It is just to help you, typically anyway.

11. saltydog3317

saltydog3317 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Christopher, did you take the picture of the squirrel using a tripod or were you just holding the camera freehand? I cant take the best pictures holding my camera freehand when my lens (55 - 200) is extended out at the max 200. But, if I take the same picture again and have my camera on a good steady tripod, the outcome is allot better. The tripod makes a HUGE difference in the pictures. They are much sharper. You can spend as much money as you want on a lens but I think you really should think about a good tripod. Do some research on here and read what people have to say about what a good tripod will do for your pictures.
    I just spent well over 1 hour at a photo shop looking at tripods and the salesman there told me to invest in a really good tripod before I spend another dollar on a lens. I have 2 kit lenses that came with my Nikon D40.
    18 - 55 and the 55 - 200 VR. He told me I could take great pictures with the kit lenses and to get a tripod before anything else.

Kevin

Kevin

12. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that 70-200mm lens is calling me. :) I want to use that later for when racing season is in. Im sure it'll do me good!

That is an interesting thing about tripods as well. I did take the squirrel with as steady a hand I could possibly have. It is a bit out of focus and would like a sharper shot. I did have the IS on too. I do use my tripod on night shots. I should post some of those too. I have a cheaper tripod right now. It is strong enough, but I would like one with a better head on it. There's just something about how the head that makes it not so easy to point at some objects and tighten so it won't move. I need something with a smoother moving head. But yeah, a tripod is more important that people think.