Newbie ... just wanted some educated opinions on my shots.

Need4Speed11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks all, I am new to this whole photography thing, and I wanted to get some opinions on my work/edits. I have been shooting for a hobby for about a year now, with a 'decent' camera (by a normal man standards :)), but I really want to improve, and hear some opinions. I have posted some of my shots, please let me know your thoughts, and please be kind.

Me playing with HDR tools ... sorry for the watermarks guys .. money's tight.

atraincopy.jpg

hdrshot.jpg

Non-HDR

dsc05110q.jpg

dsc05265re.jpg

Thanks in advance all ...

Last edited:
C&C per req:

1. I realy like this image. I think this is one, maybe only 1/2 step away from being a great image. I would take this back into the pixel room and rework the tone-mapping to improve the exposure on the rail cars. Right now they're too dark. I think too that the use of a polarizing filter rather than HDR would have produced a much stronger image, especially if shot early in the morning.

2. Unfortunately a LOT of sky noise here. I'm guessing this one was a bit under-exposed? It's a shame that the processing has almost eliminated the rainbow. Again a polarizer would have helped you greatly.

3. An interesting image.

4. Cute, not much more to say other than it could be improved slightly perhaps by cropping some of the right side off so that the subject isn't quite so centered.

5. Not sure what you were going for here. I'm getting nothing from it.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks for your words, AND /impressed/ i was using a polarizing filter on the top one ... good work.

#1 is a nice shot... the lighting seems kinda wonky though i assume it's something in the HDR processing... bottom left corner seem kinda dark when i assume they should be lit since thats where the suns coming from... the orange and white things in foreground need to be cloned out as well... shot could be composed better too... theres an awful lot of sky and that's not really the subject of the photo...

2 doesn't look great... grass looks weird... rainbow is barely there... lotta noise...

#4 mebbe some fill flash would be good... not sure...

Your pictures are very nice, thanks for posting them!

1) I would consider a horizontal format for this picture. Mainly because the sky is not very special. The ground in front of the train is a bit too busy with the garbage on the ground. I like that the rain turns. Getting even closer and using a super wide zoom could give a cool effect.
2) I would correct the horizon a little bit. I guess following the "thirds rule" could make the picture a little more interesting. I would focus more on the sky (or even the grass) but not both.
3) Very nice shot. Showing less of hair and a bit more of the car window could add a little bit.
4) Nice spontaneous capture, well done! You may want to crop the picture to shift the girl a little to the right.
5) This one is pretty average.

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back